When does the salmon fishing get going in Olcott? I am giving serious thought to fishing the Pro Am amatuer division but am not sure if I can with no head on my boat. I know I would need to bring an observer and buy a license for ours so we could run 6 lines. The photos from 2008 looked like it was a friendly competition.

Pq2zQ5Di.jpg

The fishing in that area of the lake will start to heat up the first week of May. Its actually pretty good right now for browns and cohos but the kings will really show up in the next two or three weeks.

As far as fishing the ProAm is concerned the "head" can be an issue. However, if there are two teams that do not have on board heads then they will be paired together and there should be no problem. It comes down to "convenience" for the observer on your boat. Your best bet is to contact Tournament Director Bill Hilts. You can reach him via his contact info in the Niagara section of the ProAm website....

www.lakeontarioproam.net

While you're there you might also check out the new Open Division which allows for a much looser competition, with no observers and conservative limits. That might be something you would be more interested in.

And you're right.....the ProAm Tournaments are a LOT of fun!

See you there!

Paul

I know for a fact there are Am teams that don't have a head. I have never noticed in the rules that one was "necessary" to compete? Simply a question on the entry form regarding whether you do or don't, and my understanding was that was to pair boats with the women observers. Thats just my understanding though....I could be wrong? We only have a porta potty in the cabin on my boat.

We fish the Am division and have a blast doing It!! Hope to see you there :yes: