Sailboat and line tangle ordeal - what would you do?

Even if you have the "right of way" you are still required by law to take action to avoid damage. So reel in your lines and the courts will not have to deal with your failure to mitigate damage.

i had a big blow boat (30') overtake me and and cut off one whole 5 leader rig and half another. i lost 8 sutton spoons, and all the hardware.

i did take evasive action- i motored towards shore as best i could.

didn't have time to pull in the rigs.

this was just north of the salt point in watkins. thurston howell was making about 35 knots or so, the boat keeled over so he couldn't see us. he went between us and the shore , we were within a cast from the rocks, and he almost ran himself aground. he didn't even see the shore. if i'd had a gun i'd have shot him. we cussed at him and when he poked his head up i could see he was hammered.

i forgot the name of the boat, but at the time we asked around, and it was the uncle of a guy my dad knew. by all accounts he was a total tool, on and off the water.

he could just as easily have rammed us. he simply was not looking where he was going.

Go see the Comodore at the yacht club and give them the what for !!!

Rule 26 - Fishing vessels

Please note: The following information has been reproduced from Part C (Lights and Shapes) of the Prevention of Collision at Sea Regulations 1983 (external link). The purpose of the reproduction is to explain "graphically'' the requirements of navigation lights on a variety of vessels.

A vessel engaged in fishing, whether underway or at anchor, shall exhibit only the lights and shapes prescribed in this Rule.

A vessel when engaged in trawling, by which is meant the dragging through the water of a dredge net or other apparatus used as a fishing appliance, shall exhibit:

two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being green and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with their apexes together in a vertical line one above the other; a masthead light abaft and higher than the all-round green light; a vessel of less than 50 metres in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.

Tottaly agree with this - dont let them do it again - stand up and speak clearly

Correct me if I'm wrong but from the sounds of it, you were being overtaken from the rear, correct? If so, then this is THE situation in which a powerboat has ROW over the sailboat.

From the comments here, it sounds like this sort of behavior is the rule rather than the exception with this particular club. I'm saddened to see this type of behavior from the A-holes of my alma mater tarnishing our good(?) name :o I would ABSOLUTELY call the head of athletics, their Public Relations dept and the ombudsman and lodge formal complaints. :@

this is from the nys boating regs site. a sail boat (or any baot) must give way when overtaking another boat from behind.. but, it also says they don't have to give way to rec fishers (even trolling) as they are not resricted in their manuverability. not restricted???oh, my achin' arse!! when i'm draggin 6 lines at 3 mph, my manuverability is most certainly restricted!!! :@

i'm feeling much better now, thank you :)

R

ules of the Nautical Road

The rules of the road are an internationally accepted standard by which all mariners are to comply when operating a vessel upon the water. Basically the rules require that every operator conduct his/her vessel in a prudent manner, at a safe speed, while constantly maintaining a proper lookout by all means available.

T

he Sound Signals

All vessels are required to exchange sound signals when their paths will lead them into any close quarters situation. The following four signals are the only ones prescribed for use by vessels when within sight of each other, to signal their intentions with respect to maneuvering:

1. One short blast - “I intend to leave you on my port side.†Generally this means an alteration of course to your starboard.

2. Two short blasts - “I intend to leave you on my star- board side.†In this case an alteration of course to port generally occurs.

3. Three short blasts - “I am operating astern propulsion.â€

Usually means that you are backing down.

4. Five or more short blasts - commonly known as the danger signal and is used when either vessel doubts whether sufficient action is being taken by the other vessel to avoid collision.

(A short blast is that of a one second duration)

T

he Situations

In the following situations we use the terms “Stand-on†or “Give-wayâ€. The Stand On vessel is generally required by the rules to maintain both course and speed. The Give-way vessel is required to take early and substantial action to keep clear and avoid colliding with the other vessel.

Meeting . In this situation both vessels will pass within close proximity to one another on nearly reciprocal headings. The rules require that in this situation both vessels should exchange one short blast and pass with sufficient room on each other’s port side. In this case both vessels are required to give way.

Meeting

Crossing

Overtaking

T

he Situations

Crossing rossing . Here both vessels are approaching each other at perpendicular or oblique angles and expect to pass close to one another. The rules specify that the vessel which has the other on its starboard side must keep out of the way. In this case the give way vessel should sound one short blast and alter course to starboard thus leaving the stand on vessel to port.

Overta rta rta king. This situation exists when one vessel is coming up from any direction two or more points abaft(behind) the other vessel’s beam. The overtaking vessel is considered the give way vessel and must keep clear of the vessel it is overtaking. The overtaking vessel should sound its intentions with respect to the desired side of passing, and the overtaken vessel must stand-on until the other vessel is past and clear.

Keep these things in mind:

1. Most practical on water situations may involve more than two vessels operating under less than ideal conditions. In any multiple vessel encounter, all mariners should exercise good seamanship, operate at a safe speed, and if ever in doubt as to the intentions of another vessel, immediately sound the danger signal, slacken speed, stop, or reverse the engines until the danger of collision passes.

2. As the stand on vessel in any situation you must hold course and speed until such time as it becomes apparent to you that the action of the give way vessel alone can not avoid a collision. Don’t be stubborn, even if you are entitled to the right of way expect the unexpected and be prepared to yield or you may be only dead right. Always exercise prudent seamanship in all close quarter and restricted navigation situations. Remember that a good number of your fellow boaters don’t know a lot about boating, not to mention what the rules of the road prescribe.

R

ules for Restricted Visibility

When operating under conditions of reduced visibility such as fog, heavy rain, snow, etc., all vessels must travel at a “Safe Speed†for the prevailing conditions and in addition sound a prolonged blast (4-6 sec duration) on the horn or whistle once every two minutes. Vessels less than 12 meters in length that

can’t give this signal must make some other efficient sound signal once every two minutes. Also turn on your navigation lights. Under any reduced visibility situation always navigate with extreme caution while keeping a sharp lookout for lights and signals of other vessels.

When at anchor in reduced visibility every vessel must ring the ship’s bell or other similar device for a period of five seconds, once every two minutes. This generally does not apply to vessels either moored in approved anchorage areas or in close in areas where vessels don’t normally navigate. Should you be anchored near a channel or other frequently navigated area, you must sound the bell to alert others to your position.

R

esponsibilities between vessels -

Who has the right of way?

1. A power-driven vessel underway must keep out of the way of:

-A vessel not under command (unable to maneuver).

-A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.

-A vessel engaged in fishing.*

-A sailing vessel.

2. A sailing vessel underway must keep out of the way:

-A vessel not under command.

-A vessel engaged in fishing.*

3. A vessel engaged in fishing* when underway must, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:

-A vessel not under command.

*A vessel engaged in fishing does not include fishing with trolling lines or other apparatus which does not restrict maneuverability. (ie. Sport Fishing)

As a recreational boat operator plying the waters of New York’s harbors and rivers, you should be aware of the maneuvering characteristics and limitations of large commercial vessels, particularly in congested areas.

As a general rule, it’s best to avoid hampering the progress of any large vessel even if you believe you have the right of way. Keep in mind that large vessels are restricted to the deeper navigable channels whereas your boat may safely operate in relatively little water. If you feel that you must stay within the marked channel due to you draft, always observe good seamanship and keep as far to the right side of the channel as is safe and practical for your vessel.

Also remember that large vessels generally throw large wakes as they displace water. Larger deeply laden vessels can also take up to a half mile or more to come to a complete stop. Never put yourself in a position where a pilot needs to execute an emergency maneuver in order to avoid running you down. When meeting any large vessel on the water, a little common sense and courtesy go a long way.

Speaking of large vessels and the water they displace, never haul or launch your boat at a ramp when these larger vessels are transiting. The large amounts of water they displace may cause a surge in the water level which may not only damage your property but may also endanger your life as well. The same rule holds for swimming. If you see a large vessel approaching, get out of the water. The suction effect caused by these large boats may pull you way out into the river.

Absolutely never attempt to pass between a tug and its tow. The tow line may not be visible however it may just be below the surface ready to take up and become taut at any time. The force of a cable is easily capable of flipping or splitting your boat. Learn the signals displayed by these vessels and stay well clear of tugs, their tows and any cables.