daunting question of the barge canal

Heres a question Ive often wondered and asked but no one seems to be positive of the answer. When they let the water out of the canal in late fall, and through winter ice where do the fish go? Do they remain in the few feet thats left? do they die? or do they follow the current out when they let the water out? Also how long does it take fish to reappear (Rochester area) when they let the water back in ? Im assuming any fish are coming from Lake Erie? ????????

Here is my take. Right after ice out I crappie fish in the dewatered sections of the canal. Obviously these fish were in shallow water all winter long. Even when its dewatered, there is current and rarely is the ice very thick. In addition to the crappies, I catch alot of smallmouth bass, bluegills, largemouth and pike (not on purpose, but they hit my crappie jigs. This time of year there are bullhead fisherman doing real well in the drained areas.

This is in the Macedon / Fairport areas so I don't know about areas west of Fairport. The locks seem to hold more water. I would think any areas along the canal that have depressions where water may be sliightly deeper holds fish.

Beginning in Palmyra to Newark, the canal does not get dewatered so I'm sure there are alot of fish that end up there once the canal is lowered, then disperse when the canal is filled.

Thats interesting. So the fish dont all die when they let the water out and Im real surprised the whole thing doesnt freeze over in winter. It cant be more than 2 foot deep since even when filled it is about 12 feet. Wonder where the walleyes go?

There are areas especially around Pittsford and Rochester where the water is way too low to support fish. I believe these fish move with the direction the current is draining. In the spring, you will often see many dead fish pack up against the locks. Whether these fish die of natural causes or are victims of the draw down I don't know. As far as walleyes, I believe they migrate into the canal from Lake Erie. Walleye are roamers and keep on going. I could tell you places where walleye are right now that have wintered over in the canal. Where Garandaga Creek flows into the canal in Palmyra can be good as can Canandaigua Outlet wherer it dumps in Lyons. I know friends that target them and do well, but I wouldn't call it a walleye factory.

Once it starts to warm up in March we beat up the Small mouth pretty good in that low water. WE fish Spencerport to Brockport and 50 fish days aren't uncommon. Small lipless crankbaits and ultralights work best. Fish arent gonna hang out somewhere they cant survive. Im sure most follow the current out, but A LOT still stay behind. WE have taken Crappie, Walleye, Carp, and Pike in there before they raise it back up.

After reading the paper the other day I never new it was legal to dump your waste tank in the canal while using the canal now they are thinking of making it not legal to dump you human waste in the canal. What in the hell where they thinking in the first place making it legal. So I might just connect my septic system pipe right into the canal before they change the law. [ Just Kidding ]

Yes it is true the DEC are in the process to change the law back to no dumping of human waste from the boats that travel the canal. But yes it is true boats can dump there tanks in the canal till the new law goes into effect.