HUMMINBIRD HELIX SETTINGS

Make sure Switchfire (in the sonar menu) is on MAX. Play with full, wide, and narrow CHIRP spectrum to see what gives you the best picture when trolling. I'd assume wide? Other than that leave contrast where it's at and increase/decrease sensitivity until you can pick up your downrigger balls. Be aware though that the transducer you are running isn't ideal, but it will work. CHIRP transducers have narrower cones than traditional sonar. You may lose your cannonballs from the screen if fishing light weights or fishing deep.

• 2 months later...

I also have a helix 7 on my boat. I have similar questions. First of all how do I know what model unit I have and transducer? In my transducer menu does the unit automatically know the transducer or do I need to select one? I’d guess that’s a good place to start eh. Thanks for the help. 

31 minutes ago, McDnTC said:

I also have a helix 7 on my boat. I have similar questions. First of all how do I know what model unit I have and transducer? In my transducer menu does the unit automatically know the transducer or do I need to select one? I’d guess that’s a good place to start eh. Thanks for the help. 

Model unit is on a sticker on the back of the unit. Transducer will generally have a tag on it with a part number.