Weighted Steel Diver Curve

Does anyone know what the dive chart is for weighted steel?  The website states 20 feet deep/hundred feet of weighted steel.  Also if you use the 19 stranded wire and let out additional wire will the steel continue to drop and at what rate?  I understand boat type and speed will change this just trying to get averages.

50 foot section ????

100 foot section ????

200 foot section ????

300 foot section ????

Thank you.

It absolutely does not sink 22ft per 100' ft. I have a 200 and a 400ft and the 400' at trolling speeds around 2.5mph with a flasher fly only gets down about 73ft. Best you can do is head out and drop it down and see where it hits bottom.

I had a 200 set up with the 19 strand wire. I let the steel out and then 300ft of the 19 strand at 2.5 mph with a flasher fly and it did not hit bottom in 100 fow. A 500 copper would be hitting down to 110ft. Again it's not the same dive curve. It's also an expensive setup and 1 rod crosses it and that's the end of your 19 strand backing. To me the cost did not out weigh the benefits. I have since ditched the 19 strand backing. I rely on my 400 steel with braid backing and a torpedo weight of 4-8oz to get down where the copper would be. I will say the steel is much more user friendly then copper. That said copper still has a place in the water. They both have there good and bad.

1 hour ago, Fishbowl836 said:

Thank you for the information. That was very helpful. Does anyone have any information on letting out more 19 stranded wire affecting the dive curve?

The company producing the weighted steel claims that the sink rate of weighted steel stays the same when 19 strand wire is used. So if with 200 feet of weighted steel you go down 40 feet, the next 200 feet of 19 strand will take it down another 40 feet.

As for sinking rate overall. That depends on boat speed , current speed and size of lure /flasher fly. The more resistance, the higher it runs. Just like with all other types of line.

As for comparison to copper. Copper is fine and possibly better than weighted steel,... until the copper gets knotted up and you spend half an hour cursing and sweating to untangle the copper birds nest. Weighted steel does not easily get knotted up and is more user friendly.