Laptop computer used for weather monitoring duties

This is something I've been pondering about and finally decided to throw it out there for comment. I also posted this on another fishing website, looking for input, but most of the replies were from fishermen on Lake Michigan - need input from Lake Ontario.

As a weekend warrior fisherman, a full-bore radar system for my boat is out of the question right now. I'd like to have the capability to monitor the weather while out on the water with visual aids, in addition to how I currently monitor via the VHF radio. I've looked into the Sirius weather system as an add-on to my current Sirius subscription, but came up with another idea. Has anyone taken their laptop computer out on the water and used it to keep track of weather? Obviously, I'd need a broadband modem to access the web while offshore, but this is something I could use at the house, as well. I use WeatherBug a lot, but open to other weather monitoring websites. I have a Sprint phone and was considering getting the Sprint card, but I know Verizon, AT&T and others have broadband cards out there, too. The monthly rate for the broadband service is kinda pricey, but I'd be using the card for more than just trips on the water. It'd get its use elsewhere, for sure.

Anyone tried this and what type of results have you had? Looking for good and bad. My Sprint phone has good reception up to around 10 miles offshore before it starts getting sporadic signal so guessing a broadband card would be about the same. Thanks for any input!

Tag, I can vouch for Sprint broadband as to having an excellent coverage across the country. I drive 18 wheeler coast to coast and have internet access everywhere, in the deserts of the west, the mountains, and everywhere even my phone cannot get signal , I still have broadband. Sometimes it is low band, but most times it is 3g high speed. I have not tried the hookup out on the Lake as yet, but I am sure that the service will be there. As for cost, it is a flat 59.99 monthly rate with no restrictions on data up or down. No roaming charges when on other systems either. also a nice feature of the broadband modem (SIERRA AIRCARD 595U) I have is the use of free GPS real time tracking that can interface with my microsoft streets and trips program. I'm sure it will also work with other navigation software by just configuring the drivers to accept the modem in a designated usb port.

It is the same cost per month as Sirius weather but like you say it has the advantage of useing the laptop for many other duties including sending real time video via web cam or pics uploaded from your digital camera of all your fishing action. E-mail and chat with your buds on here as well.

Another low cost and very effective weather monitor I have used is an application for your mobile phone or blackberry called My Cast Weather Mobile http://www.digitalcyclone.com/products/ ... st/faq.jsp. It can give you real time lightning strikes to help you determine if a storm approaching has the danger of lightning. It has the ability to locate you in any location and give you live updates in radar and text form in many zoom ranges so you can watch wide scale weather patterns in your area. It only costs $4 a month and is well worth the investment, since you probably already carry a cell phone on the water with you and then all you need is a data plan from your carrier to make it work.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Mark,

Excellent info. Thanks for the reply. When the Sirius weather came out, I was really interested in getting it, but then felt I may never get the full usage out of it, being a weekend-only fisherman. I kinda put the whole thought process on the back burner over the winter, but with the 2009 season underway, the idea appeared again. My brother has a Sprint broadband card for his work-issued laptop, and he uses it all the time. One of the modems I'm considering has the capability of storing data, too, and thought this may be an added benefit on the water. Thanks again for the reply and info. Definitely the type of input I'm looking for.

Why would you need it? The NWS and CG does a good job tracking storms and making weather announcements on ch 16 when storms are approaching. For severe thunder storms they (NWS) even tell you when it will be in your area. For example, Niagara Falls at 0830 Rochester at 0945.

Do you really want your laptop out there on a day when it is high humidity, rain pouring down and waves knocking anything not nailed down to the floor? 2 laptops = 1 radar, 10 vhf radios = 1 laptop, common sense = free.

Just my 2 cents.

CC

If you need and excuse to get and air card wheather and safty always work with the misses, but all you really need is accu wheather on you cellphone its 5 ur $10 bucks and uses live radar, it has saved my but acouple times out on the lake. Althought and air card would let you suf this websit if fishing is slow and might give you and idea or two on catching some fish ;)

I am with Fish Bandit on this one. I use my cell phone. I have the Weather.com radar site as a favorite on my browser. Here is the link.

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/13142?from=LAPmaps

This is the live radar from the weather channel. There are others. It shows all of New York State. Cell phone plans differ, but its included in the mine.

Paul

I want to know when the storm that may kill me is coming when it is in Michigan, not Rochester! I would like to see it with my own eyes and make a determination from that. This issue was discussed here a short time ago and for those who use laptops they are a valuable asset beyond weather. If your in a 16' open boat a laptop may not make sense, but if you have cover, and are willing to spend the $ for the aircard, why wouldn't you use one?.. Its all about personal preference i guess, but I for one will always have mine handy as long as I can. :yes: Besides me and Mark (skipper) can fire off pics of our big fish to one another while there still flopping on the deck :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I want to know when the storm that may kill me is coming when it is in Michigan, not Rochester! I would like to see it with my own eyes and make a determination from that. This issue was discussed here a short time ago and for those who use laptops they are a valuable asset beyond weather. If your in a 16' open boat a laptop may not make sense, but if you have cover, and are willing to spend the $ for the aircard, why wouldn't you use one?.. Its all about personal preference i guess, but I for one will always have mine handy as long as I can. :yes: Besides me and Mark (skipper) can fire off pics of our big fish to one another while there still flopping on the deck :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:yes::yes::yes::rock::rock::rock: i got a web cam on mine Pete...how bout you? we can shoot live action to each other...oops don't tell ray, he will show his buffy method :tmi:

Mark

:yes::yes::yes::rock::rock::rock: i got a web cam on mine Pete...how bout you? we can shoot live action to each other...oops don't tell ray, he will show his buffy method :tmi:

Mark

no web cam :(:(:(

Thanks for all the relpies and various input. I wouldn't be solely purchasing an aircard just for tracking the weather while on the boat. It is something I would use on a day to day basis for work and down-time at the lakehouse when I cannot get out on the boat because of weather. The kids have been bugging me to do something so they can go to their favorite websites and to be able to check their mail while we're up for the weekend. I've thought about the various conditions I'd encounter while on the water while trying to decide if this is something I want to do (ie. sun, damp conditions, getting banged around, etc). I realize that NOAA and the USCG give advance warning of approaching severe weather. I'm the kind of guy who likes visual aids. I like to see where the storm is, how fast it's moving, and whether it is coming directly at me or if it's going to pass me by. So many times, I've seen it getting dark west of Oswego, heard that a storm is approaching, and pack it up to run in, only to get back to the launch and realize the storm completely missed us. I don't know. Maybe I'm asking for too much. I'd love to have a full-bore radar on the boat, but as a weekend warrior, I (and the misses) cannot justify the cost, and we're looking for a way to see the storms and bad weather visually. I thought with all the options on the web available dealing with weather, the laptop may be an easy way to do it, since I already own one and would just have to buy the aircard. Still in the decision process here. But, please keep thoughts and ideas coming. Thanks!