I found this survey on The Steelhead Site and thought it should be posted here so all of us Lake Ontario fishermen can have a chance to help out this grad student doing the survey. Maybe it will help our fishery if we voice our opinion. It only takes a few minutes to fill out and it MIGHT make a difference!
I am a graduate student in biology at Northern Michigan University in
Marquette, MI. I currently am taking a fisheries management class in
which we are doing a project centered on the Sea Lamprey in the Great
Lakes. As a class we are handing out surveys to the general public. My
part for the project includes administering the surveys to the fishing
public in all Great Lakes States. Below is the survey. Those who would like to take part can copy the text below and paste it into an email message. Instead of circling choices, please make the text bold. To write in answers, please do with bold or italicized text. You can send your responses to my email: [email protected]
Thank you, your responses are appreciated.
Sea Lamprey Management Survey
PARTICIPATION IS VOLUNTARY
Please answer the following questions to the best of your ability by circling or highlighting your answer. All answers and participants in this study will remain completely anonymous. If you are interested in viewing the summary of responses or the report generated for this project, please contact Dr. Jill Leonard at [email protected]
PLEASE COMPLETE THIS SURVEY ONLY ONCE!
1. Your age? 18-25 26-35 36-55 56+
2. Your gender? Male Female
3. Your occupation
Natural resource professional Educator Professor Student Other
4. Are you involved in any conservation/natural resources/sport organizations as aÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ ?
Volunteer Employee Member
5. What is your residency?
Other Great Lakes state/province (please list)_________
Non-Great Lakes state/province (please list) __________
6. Do you or your family members fish in the Great Lakes region?
7. What is a sea lamprey? (Choose one)
An exotic eel A migratory bird A non-native mussel
A fish related to salmon An invasive parasitic fish An aquatic plant
8. Do you think that Sea Lampreys are a problem in the Great Lakes?
Yes No Not sure/ no opinion
If yes, how big of a problem? Slight Moderate Large Extreme
9. Do you know what sea lampreys are currently affecting in the Great Lakes?
If yes, what? (Choose one)
Water quality Insect populations Shipping lanes Fisheries
10. Are you concerned about the sea lampreys in the Great Lakes region?
Yes, very much yes, slightly not really no, not at all
11. Have you heard about the Great Lakes sea lamprey management program?
12. Do you know what the sea lamprey management program does (choose all that apply)?
a)Assessment b)Eradication c)Education d) Research
Which of the above do you find most important (choose letter, if any) ____
13. U.S. government spends approximately 19 million dollars each year to implement the sea lamprey management program with the Canadian government contributing a similar amount, do you feel these expenditures should be ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦..
Increased Stay the same Decreased
14. Which areas of focus do you think are NOT being adequately handled by the USFWS and could use improvement in management and/or budgeting? (Circle as many as you feel appropriate; leaving this question blank will imply that you feel all options are adequate)
Public Education: Money Management Research: Money Management
Eradication: Money Management Assessment: Money Management
15. Do you feel that the Sea Lamprey Management Program is diverting funding from other equally or more important environmental areas? Yes No
If YES, what areas?___________________________________________________
16. Imagine a case where sea lamprey control was shut down today. What do you believe would happen with respect to natural resources in the Great Lakes if sea lamprey management ceased to occur in the Great Lakes? Please base your answers on 0 ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…â€œstrongly disagreeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚