Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. It's laziness. If they have to handle a couple extra fish to get the appropriate amount of eggs / milt / eye up to reach stocking goals, do it. Take from your biggest females and biggest males first. Last resort, take from smaller fish.
  2. Some new genetics would be great but not all new. The Lake Ontario strain has adpated to Lake Ontario. We do not want to lose that. When the DEC has been asked about it, they shut it down. We are not asking for all new genetics. Why not try 25% of the eggs for one season?
  3. Bingo! Why not strive for better no matter how great it is!
  4. Like Billy said, the early 2000's king weights were heavy. That was after the big cut. Alewife numbers were lower than the 70's, 80's and 90's in the early 2000's. The current bait biomass is way up compared to 2016-2019 yet those fish were bigger. Remember those two missing year classes of alewife? It's not a bait problem. In the last five years, we have had good to record hatches in a row.
  5. WeidelEtal_2023LkOntario_AprilPreyfishAlewifeReport.pdf (glfc.org) You may want to read page 6 of the alewife trawl report from last year.
  6. The numbers of fish is awesome but I would like to see a happy medium. The opportunity to catch a 30+ lb king and numbers of kings. Lake Michigan cut stocking and saw an increase in king size. We cut stocking and the size didn't change. We were force fed that the king size was down due to the bait levels. The bait biomass is way up yet size hasn't increased. Didn't the DEC stock some sterile kings that were supposed to get to 50lbs years ago? If so, lets pen rear some those fish and get some pigs swimming in Lake Ontario again!
  7. Vince said it was 48" long!
  8. https://www.facebook.com/share/CzmoTvKqvYHq8nbB/?mibextid=WC7FNe A 37.5 lb king was caught in Wilson today. A true 4 year old….
  9. I have 3 40”x16” cutting boards up for sale. They are made with 3/4” king star board, stainless screws and 5200 to glue and seal them. They do not come with boat mounts. If you want mounts, you can get them to me and I will install them. $100.00 and local pick up in Hilton NY.
  10. I have not. I have heard from some captains that they are good but not as bullet proof as the originals.
  11. I run the original Saltists. They are bullet proof, superior drags, 6.1:1 gear ratio and great drag adjustability. The line counter placement is a pain for some but it doesn't bother me at all. I have had them since they first came out and only replaced one drag clicker in years of use.
  12. I really have trouble understanding why anyone would buy a reel that needs a drag upgrade new out of the box. I wouldn’t buy a new truck that needed a better transmission so it worked right. Buy quality reels to begin with and be done with it.
  13. Congrats Zach. A laker over 25 doesn't come along very often on Lake Ontario!
  14. That was probably the post from Angling Addict. let me see if I can find his post.
  15. If you placed in either derby with Gambler Rigs products, please message me with pics and a story. I am going to do a drawing for all the people that placed with my product.
      • 1
      • Like
  16. Okuma Magdas are throw away reels. I would buy something else instead of putting money into a low end reel.
  17. Was it an Atommik? Green head with crushed UV on it? If so, it was a UV Grinch (one of my favorites!)
  18. Congrats Mike! Keep up the good work!
  19. I sent you a pm
  20. Pick up or shipped?
  21. I have an older Daiwa SG27LC line counter reel for sale. This reel is in great shape. $40.00 local pick up in Hilton NY or shipped to the lower 48 for $50.00.
  22. I heard the trawls showed a lot of the bait was in Canadian waters. The big kings are more than likely hanging out at the buffet.
×
×
  • Create New...