-
Posts
3,010 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Gator
-
Like most on here, this stuff really burns me. I can't believe that the DEC is providing guidance that plastic lockable gun cases will suffice to meet the law for storage in a vehicle, when the language clearly states that you need a "lockable, fireproof gun case". If you don't want to spend $1K on a gun case that fits the bill, then you're in violation, regardless of what DEC says. Details matter when you're writing laws, legislators!! It doesn't matter what you mean, it's what you put on paper. And Strong Hospital has now posted signs that state, "No weapons allowed, in accordance with blah, blah, blah". Because signs prevent criminals from carrying already-illegal firearms. I did hear an interesting take on that part of the law which states that you need to post signage making guns welcome, and by default they are illegal to carry into a privately held building. Seems silly to me, but a friend suggested that this might be a tool to be able to prosecute some bad dude who they can't get otherwise, but who they know is always carrying. Like Al Capone was nabbed on tax evasion charges. I'd love to hear our law enforcement brethren's take on this....feasible or not? Is this law a tool that will be used to nab otherwise untouchables?
-
-
-
-
Heck, no!! Science. like fishing, is for everybody. Most days on the lake, I feel dumb as a box of rocks, but I've got good friends who steer me right. Gotta go shoot a big buck with Gambler.
-
I wasn't able to make the meeting, but agree that they're doing what they can given the budget and staffing. The comments on mitochondrial DNA are interesting. My lab studies mitos, and we published a paper a couple years ago where we identified a protein expressed on the outside of sperm mitochondria, but not oocyte mitochondria, which is responsible for initiating selective degradation following zygotic fusion. Hence, Morgan-E's comment that by looking at mito DNA, they're be definition following the female lineage resonated with me. I'll take a look at that study. Molecular determinants of mitochondrial heteroplasmy is a fascinating topic, and if you want to build a bigger, badder salmon, that's a great place to start.
-
Quick sit before work yesterday netted absolutely nothing. Beans are harvested at the Albion property - cell cams are dead, but I know that there's been some chasing. The next four days could be interesting. Historically, the week leading up to Halloween has been my #1 for sightings and opportunities. I generally can't make myself pull the trigger until the last week though, unless it's a beast.
-
Well, I thought I'd screwed the pooch when I busted a nice buck from under the stand on the way in. I got a picture of him 150 yards away 20 minutes after he was telling the entire woods that danger had arrived. Surprisingly, around 8 am, I had a nine point come in and hang out for half an hour; he started to bed down, then came right under the stand. He seemed to think that something was up, but couldn't get a handle on it. I think that the ozone I'd hit my outfit with on the way over confused his nose. Anyway, I got some great video of him under the stand - he was your typical 3 1/2 year old eight point with a crotch on the right antler.
-
-
Nice deer to pass on...he'll be a beast given time. I just got back from the ADK, climbing and paddling with the wife. Great break before the real season kicks in, but it got me to thinking about how lucky we are in terms of deer numbers down here. We've been visiting the Saranac/High Peaks region for many years. We finally saw a buck (not a town deer like near Old Forge, but a real ADK buck) with two doe just this year. There's never any sign in the woods, at least on the trails. Or maybe I'm just so spoiled that I miss it lol. Hard to beat the views, and when you're miles from the nearest road - well, that's special. But deer? We are truly blessed.
-
-
-
-
Walleye Tournament Winners on Lake Erie caught cheating (LEWT 2022)
Gator replied to rolmops's topic in Open Lake Discussion
I wasn't in favor of mandatory lie detector tests for the top teams in our local tournaments, but I have changed my mind based on the recent spate of cheating. Nobody wants to think that a member of their fishing community could be capable of such, but who's to say what motivating factors might influence a decision like this...and just like that, our culture declines further. I hate to see it, but recognize the necessity. -
Hunted for two hours yesterday morning and evening and again this morning. First opening weekend that I remember where I was skunked on potential opportunities. I had a buck of unknown size that trapped me in the stand last night past dark, but he didn't show until dusk and I never had a shot or even a decent look at him. I did see some doe in the fields, but none anywhere close to the stand. As for today - I forgot my Dramamine this morning and was wobbly getting down. The neighbor shot a 2 1/2 year old eight point. There will be better days ahead.
-
So, they're raising water so that folks who keep their boat in Lake St Lawrence can get them out? That isn't too helpful for all the rest of the sports up North. Can I walk back my walk back lol? Just call me Joe...
-
That's not insubstantial, and more than I expected. I do hope that it's enough. Better than nothing - and it does show that there's at least recognition of the issue.
-
Really? And just how much is a temporary reduction in outflows going to raise water levels? Enough to get boats out of the mud that they've been sitting in for the past month? I must be a dummy, because the math doesn't add up.
-
-
I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how hard it must be.
-
Free to a good home lol?
-
2022 NYS Summer Classic - A Closer Look
Gator replied to Finders Keepers's topic in Tournament Talk, Shows, Events & Seminars
-
We were putting 8-10" of #2 crusher run onto 450 feet of access road yesterday morning at our hunting property - I took a walk to see if any of the three year old trees we planted in the Spring '20 were producing apples or pears yet, and walked up on several doe in a bean field, not 150 yards from where we were running the truck and roller. Safe from me. We did hear a few shots over the course of the morning from one particular spot but as they were multiples, we thought maybe Canada Geese? Or really bad shots...
-
If only we had as much inflow as that sentence has run-on... Just busting lol. I feel you. But the IJC could do a better job. You can't control the weather, but simple chance dictates that they should get it right once in a while. And even I, blind squirrel nut finder that I am, could see we were going to have issues this summer when they started dropping the lake in April, almost two months before they normally would. Because summer is hot, you know? And water evaporates lol.
-
We also struggled inside on Saturday. One mature and a couple shakers. It seems like the pods of fish are few and far between, and when you find them you need to stay tight to them.



