Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Sweet! Sure cleans things up spatially doesn't it?
  2. I have hit bottom in 155 ft of water before with wire out about 300 at about 2 mph so they go deep enough for the type of fishing I do. They are about 2:1 line out to depth at that speed on the deepest setting (0-1). That was on Keuka. The actual depth will vary considerably due to underwater current however so on Lake O or Seneca things can be quite different and that is another reason to view diver charts with.caution.
  3. Yes it is the size 5. They are the same as the Walker Divers. They have been sold a few times (company) and last I knew Dreamweaver was selling them. They are basically the same in operation as the Luhr Jensens (without the potential irritating problem of slipping outer rings as they age and the fact that most glue will not hold on them when that is tried either. I switched to the Deeper Divers years ago and never looked back. I also think they get deeper than the largest Luhr Jensen on wire. They track very well.
  4. Use a Deeper Diver 124 mm instead and avoid the ring and still have the depth
  5. I missed that the kicker was on that side and was talking about electrical signal interference and the motor turbulence could be a potential problem but you still may wish to try it out anyway just in case if the turbulence doesn't bother your existing depth finder signal.
  6. Usually it isn't a problem despite the suggested possibility of interference. Try it out on the existing mounting surface before installing another one on the other side may be unnecessary. I have mine actually sharing a side of the bracket of my Lowrance finder although I run the finder at 100 mhz most of the time, but I haven't seen any interference even when on 83. Nothing to lose and may save yourself some work.
  7. Take Froggers advice he did a spectacular job on his boat.It looked brand new to me afterward
  8. 30# Bloodrun Sea Flee mono with 20 lb Seaguar fluoro leader on riggers, 30 lb 7 strand wire for dipsys.
  9. 607 535 2390
  10. The situation is kind of like that of the auto mechanic diagnosing a car problem: you have to learn the fundamentals of the car firsthand and then use the diagnostic equipment to help solve the problem. Otherwise if the diagnostic machine goes down....the problem remains just that a problem
  11. Justin is right there are very few places where they exist in any numbers now. As kids we used to get them in most streams in the Fingers and Fairhaven etc..but those days are pretty much gone. There is one lake that freezes over where they can be caught at night through the ice but I am not at liberty to mention it without being "strung up". To some they are considered a delicacy while I still consider them "bait"
  12. 3 ft eel caught on a dodger squid when I had my 13 ft Whaler. Tried to get the hook out on the outside of the boat but he squirmed up over the side and got loose on the deck and I still had slime for weeks after left after cleaning the boat
  13. Very good points Keith. In 1963 I took an oath to uphold and defend to the death if necessary the U.S. Constitution and I feel exactly the same about that oath as I did back then. Despite some of our shortcomings which seem to center around greed and personal ambitions taking over logic and reason we still are a wonderful and generous nation with freedoms that cannot be taken for granted.
  14. Cool piece of history Jason and something to be proud you are a part of
  15. Aspiring you have a PM
  16. Small section of small diameter surgical tubing placed on the 19 strand (wire can slide up and down through it). Insert the tubing in the jaws of the release. Place the tubing behind the little pin in the Offshore release and lock it down tight (maybe use heavy duty rubber band over the jaws of release to keep from opening?) ? May be clumsy in practice but might be worth a try.....
  17. Thanks Bill another good reason to hang on to it paid over twice that high book valuefor it new
  18. I have the 18 ft Ventura (2002) and love it. I believe the major reason they discontinued the Ventura and went to the Vantage (same hull design) was because the Ventura was not competitive price wise with that class of boat (expensive and many boats available cheaper in that class). The hull design is pretty much the Outrage (offshore boat) hull with a dual console top and it is very seaworthy. I have NEVER had a drop of water in it other than rain and it has been set up for both fishing and pleasure all along. It sits high in the water and I can go into less than 1 ft of water with the motor up. This model seems more equivalent to a next size up boat because they are wide and deep (freeboard). I only have the one pic of my boat in the water so it has been on here before . I also had a dodger made for the front with zip out windows and privacy curtain etc. for the ladies (porta potty fits upfront between seats if needed) if needed and bow cover, side windows for the bimini so the cabin can be closed off in the foul weather too. Pretty much does everything I could ask of it but the custom canvas has to be thought through in terms of flexibility and cost ($6,000 or so altogether). 6 ft and 200 lbs and can stand on the gunwales without it moving at all and several people can stand on one side without it listing to the side like a lot of even larger boats do. All my fishing gear (downriggers outriggers, rod holders etc. is removable. The only holes drilled in it were for the transducer mounting plate depth finder on dash and the kicker bracket. Except for the kicker bracket if needed to sell for pleasure craft it would appear pretty much "untouched". P.S. no intention of ever selling and I don't have any affiliation with Boston Whaler other than being in love
  19. The pic above alone is worth a million bucks WTG That is what parenthood is all about
  20. If you really want to do it right and have the $$$ here is one to think about https://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-overview/vantage-boat-models/230-vantage/ (although I'd eliminate the sink if I had one built)
  21. They drive me nuts and I kinda hate them because of all the racket and messes they make but I also admire their intelligence and wary nature. My wife thinks they are cool because they have "lookouts" and seem to "buddy up". I'm not quite so "forgiving" I guess
  22. Here is a pic from a couple years ago to give you an idea taken at the end of the day
  23. Tip: The crows like anything dead
  24. The $174,000 is only the "entry fee" to the REAL MONEY...the stuff that is "under the table" and hidden from public view just as the backroom decisions are....
  25. They love fish. I usually leave some out back for the one that lives near me.
×
×
  • Create New...