Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. At 27 inches the average brown is thought to be about 7 lbs 13 ounces according to the chart in the DEC syllabus. I know they can vary upward from that but I don't believe it is a 10 lb brown. Pics (especially digital photos) can be quite deceptive. The chart offers a closer approximation but is not exact either...it is an average. Here is a pic of one that is exactly 10 lbs 1 oz. from last year on Canandaigua which was about 30 inches. Note that the pics of them look pretty similaranandaigua
  2. There is a reason that the size limit is 15 inches on Honeoye vs. 18 on most other lakes. There are quite a few in there but they usually run small with just the occasional one in the mid twenty inch range and big ones are quite rare for most folks. There are many largemouth bass in there and they readily respond to most things put into the water so they can be a pain and especially crossing spawning beds and shallower areas around the periphery of the lake and this is real prevalent toward and into evening. All the things mentioned above can be used but again you may have some throwbacks. The lake is very shallow approx 30 ft maximum so a lot of flat area to troll through looking for them and especially if you aren't very familiar with the lake. Oneida might be a better choice for more structural or holding options or possibly even Owasco but again familiarity with the lake is a big plus.
  3. Nice brown about 8lbs or so.
  4. On their diet is duckling and frog or other surface dwellers so it probably isn't "accidental" that they do that
  5. If talking Lake O only - 20 lb good quality fluoro leader 25 ft long for spoons on riggers in king season possibly 10-12 lb. in Spring for browns), flasher fly no leader attractor direct to wire, no snubber, 50 lb Big Game for flies (I tie my own provides a minimum amt. of stretch ). Really no wrong way to do it (e.g. length of leader etc.) mainly personal preferences....
  6. I sent Trevor the address of this posting because I believe that when people are doing the right thing they need to be aware that others fully appreciate it.
  7. Trevor and the folks there are top notch. great products great service....the way all American servicing should be
  8. Man...they are really going at it.... I added some contrast to the pics to see if maybe they will show a little more detail. Thanks for posting them Nick
  9. Good salt water bait though Nick
  10. Good "old school" rod holders. mr 580 is right on target with his info. Safety lines are a real good idea.
  11. Hey Stan don't be intimidated by Brian's success. Remember you have actually won the NLTD in the recent past (unlike the rest of us poor slobs that just keep on trying) Plus.....Brian posts pics of all those lures at the back of his boat to scare people (along with the plastic Lake Trout stationed above them
  12. The information on that page on the website is a good example of an "apples and oranges" comparison. Each of those units is an example of special purpose use and it depends on what purpose or particular fishing YOU have in mind for starters. Before looking any further you need to decide what YOUR needs are and not just ask for an easy answer to a complex decision. Then do some research based on those needs including reading reviews etc. and then pose questions here about comparisons of particular units based on your needs. It is virtually impossible to answer your original question accurately the way it is posed above.
  13. Good thinking.
  14. I have seen them doing that with a perch (dorsal spines extended) stuck in their throat on Seneca.
  15. Note that original post from 2014 Seagers in Canandaigua is reliable. Talk with either Doug or Bob at the Parrish Street location. They have some older OMC parts Jeff is an excellent mechanic. 21 Parrish Street Canandaigua 585-394-1372 (Service Department)
  16. Even with new motors or cars etc. you have a 50/50 chance much of the time, but again if they are taken good care of and properly maintained (winterized, new pump and impellers etc.) I've had two outboard mechanics tell me that the Opti's are great engines and they don't see many in for repair and these are guys I know and trust their judgment and information and one of them is with a mainly Honda outboard dealership but that deals with fixing/maintaining all brands of outboards.
  17. I saw those Reel Rage spoons at the Watkins show and they looked great! Super paint jobs in a large array of colors....nice work!
  18. The difference is this is New York State and I don't think the emperor and his cronies care one way or another about fish and game it is all about $$$$ but liberal downstate mentality about sanctions for offenders.
  19. I may be mistaken but I think all Empire passes expire at the end of March. Nice going Brian What is that plastic laker doing on top of your lures?
  20. Usually the best water for them is the edge of the colorline. You exploit it by trolling your stuff in and out of the edge itself rather than the colored water. Most fish don't like the muddy water. Take perch for example they usually won't be found in muddy water itself but murky water is what they like where it isn't crystal clear or muddy. There is usually a slight difference in the water temp at the edge of the mudline but if the chocolate stuff is real thick and muddy they won't be found there usually.
  21. I think you'll find mixed reviews on just about any outboard and you can't assume that everyone takes care of them in the same way for starters and it makes a difference. I've had a 135 Opti since it was brand new in 2002 and it is basically the same as the 150. It has been a very good reliable engine. I broke it in carefully and have used non ethanol gas and the Mercury Optimax synthetic oil since day one. By the way it is about $50 (including tax) per gallon today. Although it trolls down I don't use it for that because that can load the plugs up pretty good so I use my 9.8 for that and the 135 for getting from place to place. I've been very happy with the performance of mine but again, I take good care of it too. I use fuel stabilizer year round and keep my gas tank full (much to the dismay of my mechanic buddy who doesn't believe in it)
  22. That's OK not necessary. I just was interested in a good older version roller tip have plenty of twillis thanks anyway.
  23. pic of the tip?
  24. If you are considering Lake Ontario (not clear from your post) you could fish in the bay at Sodus Point. Folks often over look it in the Spring but sometimes there are some good trout and salmon in there feeding and it is fairly well protected.
×
×
  • Create New...