Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Couldn't resist.....but that is the great thing about this site the responses give you food for thought.....
  2. GO RABBIT! I'm sitting here with coffee in the thermos boat all hitched up and ready to go and my son called and he's been up all night sick (20 miles from here) and won't be able to make it today.... guess it is now either go solo or scrap it for anther day....haven't made up my mind which yet....always something The four wheel drive has been acting up so towing to Ontario and Seneca are out....only 5 min. from launch here....time for a coffee to wake my azz up. Good luck Ed! Looks like a solo trip on Canandaigua today. After going outside to the boat I have reconsidered....south wind blowing like hell here (up about a thousand feet off the lake) There is always another day...and besides I don't want Ed to feel bad if I had caught more fish with my "girly" lures
  3. Amen!
  4. Ah....thanks! Les
  5. So I guess the "long and short" of it is whatever works best on your boat for your particular situation and your preference is best to use
  6. Thanks for the info. Just curious...did they get the new docks in at the south end....haven't launched there in a while...last time only the one with the railing..real pain when launching by yourself.
  7. Around this time of the season the game plan changes...rather than looking for hungry fish according to temps and depths and thermocline orientation and rigid guidelines for setups it is mainly a matter of locating the fish and trying to irritate or provoke them enough to strike at the lures and attractors. Many times the attractors themselves get nailed because of the aggressiveness. Rather than mimicing wounded or"vulnerable" bait the terminal tackle often needs to be as bright as possible, run in ways that evoke the aggression (frequent speed changes and even "start and stop stuff" and placed "in their face" and often up close to the ball. The kings may also be found in water that you'd never think they'd be in ( e.g. 20ft in 70 degree water). When you look around now there are signs that Fall appears to be coming early this year (leaves on the ground and colors turning in places) so things may be a little ahead in terms of the spawning ritual as well. I know this was off topic a bit but it is something to keep in mind in addition to the specifics of setups - especially for folks new to the trolling scene.
  8. Good going Justin....pretty soon you'll have to change your middle name to "Walleye" Les
  9. The wind sure has screwed things up everywhere for the past few weeks. Good day to re-rig stuff and take it easy. I wish you folks a safe uneventful journey back to Pennsy. Thanks again for the fun reports and culinary expedition information Les
  10. Sk8man

    Canandaigua canandaigua

    Usually a couple lines run way back with light leaders, very small spoons or sticks various colors often run on diagonals from the shore outward. There have been some very big ones in here but lately haven't been catching any at all.
  11. Yeah I hear ya the fleas were all over the braid and wire (which I expected but wanted to use) yesterday. I had the new 30 lb Blood Run SeaFlee on the riggers and virtually no problem....I had a17 lb fluoro leader too which only caught a few at the swivel. The 30 lb is great as an anti flea weapon but after years of using 12 lb test...it feels like I'm using 5/8 rope and the stuff stretches a lot. Yes it is a wonder you did as well as you did fighting that wind etc. Sure canbe frustrating not being able to do all the stuff you have in your game plan. Thanks.
  12. I'm assuming you were out toward the middle toward the east side with that 300 60lb copper out ? but did you come back on the west side at all? I'm thinking about Monday maybe and haven't heard any info on the west side at the south end (e.g. near the condos etc.). Thanks for the report and nice job of it....not the easiest fishing out there right now. Les
  13. Sk8man

    Canandaigua canandaigua

    Nice going and good report....pretty similar to the conditions we fished yesterday at the northern half.... similar depths etc. so the thermocline still seems pretty stable...I just wonder where the browns are....must be in closer and toward the bottom where the temp connects with it....kind of a puzzle to figure out...keeps it interesting.
  14. The dog probably went back to the house for his rain gear
  15. Cool! The little guy sure looks proud of that fish...worth the trip in itself! and you avoided lakerville Les
  16. Airmar transducers are the best by far....just need to contact them (tech guys) to match up correctly.
  17. Most years around this time there are kings straight out from the channel (often closer than you might think too) if you can locate them and that's where I think I'd be with the storm potential....
  18. Taking the boat back out of the water after this weekend is going to be kinda like having to go back to school for you folks isn't it? Good luck today Nick and Theresa!
  19. My hunch is that it is a "club" members tournament for the guys at the south end of Seneca and I presume elsewhere nearby there (Finger Lakes Trollers maybe???)
  20. Hope you're off for the weekend Frogger (Mike) It is one of the benefits of retirement to be able to pick your days..just ask Mike C. Iron Duke (Mike)....send me a PM before the tournament and if I know any info I'llpass it on to you. Les Dave you're very welcome...it was my pleasure.
  21. That' Ed all right the supreme ball buster Good one bud!
  22. Basically it is a Seth Green (also called "thermocline" rig....a multi leader/lure rod and reel system often 5 lures at a time) and the "jug" is a float that gets the main line and leaders out and away from the boat. Some folks use a milk jug (plastic bottle) as the float hence the name "jug rig". Hope this helps.
  23. As far as the line getting stuck in the side of the spool ....something is wrong with either the way the wire was put on the spool or the tension of the spool, too much backing before the wire was put on, or too much wire (or possibly a defect) but the wire should be nowhere near the edge of the spool even with 1000 ft. on there. Ive had dozens and dozens of reels over the time I've been fishing and I now have a dozen other Daiwas, many Penn's and some Okuma's and this particular reel is one of the best I've owned. I'm not a "Diawa guy" or an "Okuma guy" just someone who wants a reel that works and does what I want it to do ....consistently.
  24. I met Woody Boater (Dave) at the north end launch ramp at 6:30 AM. He normally had fished Lake O at Sandy creek and also Conesus but hadn't experienced Canandaigua so we gave it a try for rainbows and browns and toured the lake a bit so he'd have some landmarks for next time when he brings his boat here. We started out at the pump house after taking some temp readings and found the thermocline was running from 40-65 ft down. We set one rigger with spoon and slider at 60 ft. and the other at 50 ft with slider as well as two dipsey off outriggers with spoons and a wire rig dipsey with mountain dew Spinny and white fly and a braid rig dipsey with purple and black flasher and green fly. We trolled the west side to Danny's ex's place and the starboard side rigger (60ft) fired and immediately a nice bow jumped in the air and took line. He did this 4 times before Dave skillfully guided him up the middle and into the net. It was a 5 1/2 to 6 lb bow and he came on one of the sk8's " nail polish" enhanced" lures on the main line ( no competition for Bob Fuller but they work) We trolled further up the west side and had another smaller rainbow on the downrigger and he was released unharmed without bringing him into the boat. Trolled on to just south of Danny's place and went southeast.... nothing....pulled up everything and started to put out first Seth Green and after the second spoon the rig line parted company because of previous unnoticed frayed line and sinker and spoons went to bottom as donation to the fish Gods (not the first time either) . Started to set out jug rig and small rainbow hit the first leader I put out before I could load the second one so we released him and then put out one side rig and wire rig again and trolled north .....drag fired on the jug and when hauled in small rainbow...released unharmed. Had a couple brief "short hits" on wire rig and then had the drag go out on the jug rig just prior to quitting around 12:30 but nobody home when we retrieved it. Didn't mark much along the way in terms of fish or bait but the fish we did mark were at about the 50-55ft mark. Here is Dave with his fish for the grill: It was a lot of fun and beautiful day and we both agreed that is what it is all about having all this in our "backyard" at our leisure and without driving for hours. P.S. I forgot to mention that the fleas were really bad.
  25. You might want to consider the Daiwa Sealine SG47LC3B. I bought one and spooled it with 30 lb mono backing and 1000 ft. 30 lb seven strand and it saw some kings on it and worked flawlessly. I also have a power handle on it which helps with the gear ratio. I have some carbon fiber drag washers for it but so far the standard ones have worked fine. They are also small enough to double as downrigger reels. The Saltist is also a good reel and the direct drive line counter is nice but it can be uncomfortable on your wrist/arm because of where it is located.
×
×
  • Create New...