Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Yeah Keith ....let's keep it clean
  2. The long shaft is a good idea but just make sure that when you mount it that the motor shaft and prop will be fully out of the water when under advanced throttle (while running with the big motor) or you can damage the kicker.
  3. Harv is "the man" when it comes to the weights. For those folks still messing around with pancake weights or cannon balls this would be a good time to do yourselves a favor and get some more effective weights. I don't think you'll find any that are less expensive and of high quality and now is the time to back our local LOU guys.
  4. Sk8man

    Sold / Closed 2017 Crestliner 2050 Commander

    Very nice rig and first time ever that I have seen Cannon riggers on a Penn swivel-matic mount. Good idea as the non-metal Cannon's break (two of them so far
  5. Exactly!
  6. I use a small (inexpensive) drink cooler to protect my X4D
  7. My order is in for Wednesday
  8. Previous comment Redacted. Better things to do than grab the bait. He's hopeless.
  9. You have a PM
  10. Let me offer a little perspective to this. I've known and fished with Adm Byrd for over 35 years and he has much passion for fishing and I've never seen him get this upset about anything. The reason is that his boat is all set and ready to go fishing at home but he is working each day. Doing what you ask...working directly with the EMT's and medical people in ambulances dealing with this damned virus while the rest of us sit at home on our asses in safety. I have never seen such blind selfish comments as are appearing on here by some people that don't seem to have a clue about what is actually going on around us. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
  11. To date New York State has accounted for nearly half the more than 20,000 deaths in the United States as of tooday . If that fact doesn't influence someone nothing will.
  12. Hypocrisy in government is nothing new and is characteristic of most power structures. When I left the military years ago I felt that I never wanted to take orders from anyone again in my life. Unfortunately, that is not the way life actually operates There are always authoritarian structures embedded in societies and it is purely a matter of degree of it that separates most of them. We as Americans are used to a lot of independent functioning in most aspects of our lives, and this has been a factor since the country was founded. There has always been a balancing act between individual liberties and majority rules of the larger society and population. Like in areas of medicine and other fields the decision to take rational action involves making an assessment of the benefit to risk in acting for the good of all concerned and basically that harm to others will be kept at a minimum, or hopefully avoided altogether often in making such decisions which affects large groups of diverse people or interests someone is going to be inconvenienced or disadvantaged in some way. The current situation is just such a circumstance. In this situation the very real and substantial risks including death far outweigh the the individual interests of a segment of the population far from a majority with some requiring protection from harm including possible death. When you don't have the perception of your being in the vulnerable group much like the 19 year old soldier in combat thinking he is invincible and it is only others that will be hit or killed you may act in bold reckless ways which may lead to yourself or others being harmed or killed. This virus has the same ability to harm or kill and in very virulent and indirect ways (e.g. people not displaying symptoms but passing on the virus to others). It should be treated in the same manner as a visible enemy with everyone's attention focused, cooperation of everyone doing their part for the common good despite the considerable inconveniences, delays in gratification, questions regarding the veracity or necessity of regulations or orders. Failure to do these things in combat can and does lead to casualties - some unavoidable but others that clearly can be minimized or avoided by following directions. The folks making the decisions tried doing things in a less restrictive way with numerous widespread problems with implementation so the next level of restrictions was imposed. Don't mistakenly think this is the most restrictive it can be as if things get way out of hand martial law could be imposed and nobody wants to see that. In short it is a hell of a lot easier to suspend judgment temporarily at least and do as requested or ordered. Nobody likes it but some folks lives could be hanging in the balance.
  13. Serves them right for scattering those eggs all over the place
  14. I'm looking at this Easter as a very special one ....much out of the ordinary...an opportunity.... and a good chance to reflect on all that is meaningful and cherished in my life itself, family, friends, good health, the frontline workers in this pandemic, and the good people here on LOU and I mean that sincerely.
  15. Very well put Keith. I think no matter what is said it falls on deaf ears though.....kinda like much of the conspiracy stuff
  16. Exactly my feeling too Bill . Patience is a virtue and Americans seem to have little of it these days. We all need to do our part to support the folks on the front lines taking the hit for the rest of us. There is no place for selfishness or intolerance from being "inconvenienced"when something like this is going on.
  17. One of the things I have wondered about is the amount of pressure being blown into the lungs by the ventilators or is it that the lungs just come to rely on the ventilator and continue to deteriorate? I don't think anyone has a real handle on it but they should be looking closely at it.
  18. Good one Stan. I guess I have been preoccupied with other survival stuff but l"ll get back to it. Boy the Seneca Derby sure is a question mark isn't it?
  19. Closest I could get without an actual description Bill
  20. Rainbow Smelt. Here is one about 9 inches from Canandaigua through the ice a couple years ago.
  21. X3 Happy Easter everyone. stay healthy and stay safe.
  22. .https://www.hodgesmarine.com/powp7188800aj-powerwinch-40-x-732-replacement-galvanized-cab.html
  23. The feelings are running hot right now and that is understandable. The main problem is that not everyone is doing their best to stay from others and some folks are doing crazy things (like spitting or coughing on food in the stores for laughs). For the past couple weeks I have driven by the Canandaigua launch and the pier. I counted over 50 trailers in the parking lot one day and there is only one MAIN ramp (handicapped one) available with a rail running the length of it pretty much forcing you to grab it when coming in especially. I also saw a bass boat about 17 ft long with 4 people in it with two sitting right next to each other in the front. Each time I drove out on the pier there was a hot dog vendor selling and three or four people standing right next to each other talking to him, and groups of folks milling about and walking in groups. These are the types of folks that have spoiled it for the rest of us and they are the ones potentially spreading the virus while many of us are doing our part to safeguard others and ourselves. I have been fishing over 70 years and I have given up other activities long ago such as hunting and things like golf etc. to be able to fish year round. It means everything to me EXCEPT for sacrificing my health because without that no fishing or anything else. I had already registered for derbies which I look forward to each season and even preparing for them in the winter months. At this age I don't know how many seasons I have to look forward to and my boat is now sitting right next to my house waiting to go. With all this in mind I have stayed put since February 26th and it sucks; but but at least I know that I haven't been jeopardizing my health and that of my fellow fishermen and other citizens. I dislike the Emperor and his authoritarian tactics as much as anyone on here (e.g. so-called SAFE Act) but at this point I don't give a damn if he is wrong or right or the politics involved in his specific decisions right now during this pandemic. These precautions may be f d up but something has had be be done to keep the previously mentioned idiots from harming others, and yes it is extreme but not all that hard to follow the rules until we get back to sanity.
  24. Yes I know and my comment was not intended as any criticism but the contrary as a compliment The pic underscores the importance of fishing as a family activity.
×
×
  • Create New...