Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Mine probably would say " But look at tall the money you saved by not going dear"
  2. I know it is disappointing but it is the responsible thing to do given the current circumstances
  3. It is a good idea anytime with any size boat actually. I lost a good friend (also was a charter captain) during a summer when he was fishing alone and apparently went to take a wizz and fell overboard striking his head (no life jacket on). They found him the next day in about 8 ft of water. Boating can be some serious stuff and taking precautions is important and there is even less room for error in cold weather.
  4. WTG Bill and the look on your kids faces says it all
  5. You will be happy with either option Unless you are trolling a lot of high speed and real deep water (e.g. 100 ft plus on riggers) 10 or 12 lb weights will be just fine)
  6. check your other post
  7. Hughes Marina near Pultneyville would be nearly a straight shot north on 21 then turn onto 104 east, then take Townline Road north and turn left (west) on old 104. Hughes will be on your right. Sodus Point is another option either the public launch just north of Arney's Marina on Rt. 14 (straight shot from Lyons) just before entering Sodus Point, or the launch at the Coast Guard station near the lighthouse near the beach.
  8. Must have felt great to be out there.....I can hear my boat crying in the barn
  9. something that shouldn't be ignored when looking is the amount of floatation and weight capacities as well as max. motor horse power as not all same sized boats are the same (especially for offshore use)
  10. The name of their store says it all and is absolutely correct
  11. That is really impressive Brian Neat idea.
  12. Fishy always has a good selection of stuff. Looking forward to seeing you there Gerry
  13. Yep. I have it but I just throw them in the vibrator itself and fish them out and just leave the material as it is then next time just add a little more of the polishing substance either way works.
  14. Small Spro #8 swivel from main Bloodrun Sea Flee 30 lb mono to 20 lb fluoro leader 20 ft long.Either dedicated rods without a leader (i.e. just the 30 lb mono with a solid ring ball bearing swivel) OR I just take the leader off and put a ball bearing swivel on the end of the mono for attractor use.
  15. Toothpaste is actually a bit better as it is a mild abrasive.
  16. One of the pluses for the Blacks is that there is a large range of adjustment on them perhaps to the point of barely releasing if that is what is desired. It is one difference form the Chamberlain in fact as the upper end of the Chamberlain release is about 4 lbs or so. The difference can be important when using attractors with lures as it may require a relatively higher setting than with just a spoon or stick to prevent false releases. Normally for usual fishing conditions I have my Blacks set for 3-3 1/2 lbs. I use an inexpensive luggage scale to set the releases. If I run cowbells, flashers, or spinnys in conjunction with the lure I usually estimate upward on the tension to about 4 lbs or so as I may not have the scale with me in the boat. After using Blacks since the mid seventies I can pretty much tell even without the scale where I'm at P.S. I constantly monitor the tips of my rigger rods to spot possible "shorts" that may not have triggered the release. Chamberlains may be better at detecting them than Blacks for small fish and especially light hitters like Walleyes and Perch.
  17. Brian hit it right on the head and after all it is also a serious "holiday" in rememberance of the great folks who gave their lives so that the rest of us could enjoy it along with the many freedoms we have. I guess we all need to pause sometimes and think about that.....myself included. That fact should also be shared with young people because they may have little no idea of the significance of it, or of the fact that Hitler was on the path to making an atomic bomb that could have been used on us but it was prevented by that victory and those people's ultimate sacrifice.
  18. From my viewpoint the two Mikes are a couple of the most serious contenders facing us along with the Admiral. Might be tough splitting that one fish between us that still resides in the lake
  19. Leave it to you to come up with the term Mike
  20. Lets hope not. Wanton waste in any sport is unacceptable.
  21. That is sick......
  22. #1 and #2 are accounted for. The tough part will be making it a reality in terms of results; especially with competitors like you guys
  23. https://www.laketroutderby.org/
  24. Perfect still laughing
  25. Once again....check out the dorsal fin. https://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Iowa-Fish-Species/Fish-Details/SpeciesCode/ULL Look also at the anal fin.
×
×
  • Create New...