Fish cleaning stations

Fish cleaning stations can be cheap and they can be expensive. Specially expensive to maintain. Maybe they should just have a few tables around a barrel for the guts and a water hose or two set up above a catch basin. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and the barrel can be picked up daily by a garbage truck or a cosmetics company ( to render the oil used in the cosmetics industry). The expensive ones include a shed, a grinder and some more fancy things. But one thick knife or pair of pliers that is dropped ruins the grinder and that is why they are so expensive and hard to maintain. Personally, I think it would be best to clean the fish on the water and bring the fish to shore with the skin on so measurements can be taken. The money that is saved this way way can be used to build proper toilets which often are absent.

Edited by rolmops

39 minutes ago, FlashySportfishing said:

There is a cleaning station at Wilson.  We used it all last week.  That doesn't help you unless you are in Wilson though.

That is at the marina where you were slipped for a few days, correct? 

The bigger issue is for those who trailer their boats, all those cleaning stations are out of commission.

we are coming in from PA 5/17 to 5/21, any idea if any of the cleaning stations will be operational by then?  Last year we launched at Tuscarora but drove to the fort to use theirs.  Once upon a time they had tables and running water with carcass dumpster at the state park launch, but i'm assuming thats long gone now?

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a washdown hose in my Duckworth. I also put a cutting board on the bottom side of my hatch cover. I bleed the fish for 30 min then fillet and bury the fillets in gallon ziploc bags in ice. The quality of the fish is 2ed to none. I would not eat some/most of the fish I see coming off of other boats. A block of ice in a cooler with big ungutted fish sitting for 5-6 hrs is a dam shame and a waste.