Cayuga Brown Trout

Hello everyone I'm going to Cayuga Lake with the kids and trying to target Brown Trout any suggestions gladly appreciate. 

What bait will need to setup how deep they are this time of the year 

Thanks again for the help 

Kaz

Browns aren't the easiest fish to find but some things seem to be more successful than others catching them. First of all on the Fingers they are often night feeders and inhabit the shallows then so getting on the water just before light is often the best option. The browns are usually located near drop  offs in 40- 80 ft of water at this time of the season and especially where the water temp is 58-60 degrees and usually near bottom They also seem more vulnerable to live or dead bait such as sawbellies or in a pinch shiners. Commercially prepared shad (sold in packages or jars at local tackle shops or places like Runnings or Walmart) can also work. You can use standard spinning rods with 8-10 lb test with an 8 lb fluoro leader about 24 to 32 inches long with a #8 double or treble hook at the end attached to the main mono line with a small swivel snap. above the swivel a weighted bobber is attached so that it can slip on the main line allowing the bait to cover depths. If windy it may require a lot of adjustments and re-casting. Trolling in shallow water 8- 25 ft in very early hours or using planers boards can also work. Trolling out beyond 80 ft or so is seldom the ticket to success.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Browns aren't the easiest fish to find but some things seem to be more successful than others catching them. First of all on the Fingers they are often night feeders and inhabit the shallows then so getting on the water just before light is often the best option. The browns are usually located near drop  offs in 40- 80 ft of water at this time of the season and especially where the water temp is 58-60 degrees and usually near bottom They also seem more vulnerable to live or dead bait such as sawbellies or in a pinch shiners. Commercially prepared shad (sold in packages or jars at local tackle shops or places like Runnings or Walmart) can also work. You can use standard spinning rods with 8-10 lb test with an 8 lb fluoro leader about 24 to 32 inches long with a #8 double or treble hook at the end attached to the main mono line with a small swivel snap. above the swivel a weighted bobber is attached so that it can slip on the main line allowing the bait to cover depths. If windy it may require a lot of adjustments and re-casting. Trolling in shallow water 8- 25 ft in very early hours or using planers boards can also work. Trolling out beyond 80 ft or so is seldom the ticket to success.

Thank you for exelent info if I will troll I should use small spoons or stick bait and north end or south end is better 

Thanks 

West side - Frontenac point (Just north of Tunkhannock) and just to the north. Along that shoreline - traditional has held summer browns - early am is best. You'll probably tie into the Atlantic's there too. Haven't been there in years, but I browns are what you're after - that's we're I'd be starting.

Brad

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, brad43 said:

West side - Frontenac point (Just north of Tunkhannock) and just to the north. Along that shoreline - traditional has held summer browns - early am is best. You'll probably tie into the Atlantic's there too. Haven't been there in years, but I browns are what you're after - that's we're I'd be starting.

Brad

Second that.  That area has been very good for me from the kayak.

If launching from Taughannock Falls State Park be aware that there's a foot bridge over the channel, so if you have to watch your height.   17' Lund I have to drop the Bimini top going under it. 

• Like 1

Small to medium spoons  J-7 or J9 size sticks. More likely to get Atlantics too trolling them. Troll slower for the browns.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Hello everyone I didn't get luck with Brown Trout but I have blast with kids getting Lakers. 

Cayuga is very alive so much bait and marks  everywhere .

Also I want thank you guys for pointing me in right direction for Browns. 

Tight Lines 😉🍻🎣

Kaz.

20230707_202915.thumb.jpg.4ab7025beb009e943350df0ced7bbc2c.jpg

20230704_130553.thumb.jpg.3976091027a9b4fc2d5d457f61d1a2a3.jpg

20230703_124805.thumb.jpg.4c1bfcf16b177aeaf090b724ba7c463f.jpg

20230706_120050.thumb.jpg.45486baf7b522cfb671e3d6e3f9fa0d9.jpg

20230710_102223.thumb.jpg.d23339cc370d1040da0d67f0e83f64be.jpg

20230702_114349.thumb.jpg.4e88f41db1113cb5ebbbcbe4a60c06b8.jpg

20230710_182727.thumb.jpg.44daaad53b0f1d2b822bf97582a021ec.jpg