Rookie still shorebound

Since I have about a 40 minute drive to the launch sites at Henderson or Stoney creek, the best I can do is rely on the weather reports from NOAA. I have been itching so bad to get out with the new boat. Waited for this weekend as I usually don't get the time off from Uncle Sam during the week.

This weekend turned into a double disappointment with a small craft advisory and thunderstorms for Saturday and stiff breezes and medium to high waves for Sunday. Spending the weekend reading some more of the dozens of manuals that came with the new boat instead of going out for a shakedown.

Guess I am satisfied that I made a good decision, but really wish there was some reliable buoy information or a local camera to go with the text marine forecasts. Where do you guys turn to for your "Reliable" reports?? Boat could have probably handled 3-5 foot waves this afternoon, but not the conditions I want for figuring out how to work the new boat with lines in the water.

The upside is that I don't have to worry about not coming back!

The "Newby Chronicles" report will have to wait for another weekend, or maybe I will get out during the evenings this coming week. I will be starting slow with only a few flatlines, as a pair of Downriggers and the mounting base for my Otter Boats rigging mast in on next months list of purchases.

I will get out eventually, and keep you all up to date on my progress (hoping you will give your 2 cents when it is needed).

See you out on the pond.

Dave,

I wish there was a really dependable weather predicition site. I generally look at a bunch of different sites then "the best out of three wins". I don't fish your area but if I did I would look at this site.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/se ... neWeek.php

Click on "more" then look at wind speed & direction. You can figure that SW winds will make that area pretty bumpy. I'd also suggest getting out real early as that's the time for the calmest water.

Also you may want to do a search: "Henderson Harbor weather." I think abc has an hour by hour update.

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

This may help to keep you from driving all that way just to look at the water. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?sit ... ssuedby=LO

Hope this helps and good luck. About five years ago I was in your shoes. Each year I add a couple new things to the boat and have immensely enjoyed the experience of learning the techniques of catching big water trout and salmon. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. You WILL make mistakes. Keep reading this site. Some great guys and they all have something to teach you.

Bob