Lead core or Copper on the finger lake

There are probably a million things that could be said here but each of these setups presents differently in the water and differ in flexibility of use. I would say the longest copper that is worth running on the Fingers is a 300 and with leadcore a ten color. The time of season makes a large difference. In the spring shorter lengths of each type are effective running  ether sticks or spoons I have dedicated 1, 3, 5, 7, and ten color options.. As the summer moves on the thermocline (and desired temps) go deeper   so the coppers and leadcores need to go there. The thermocline often goes to 70 ft and beyond so neither of them may get quite there so they may not be the best strategy then or use weights attached to them to get down further. A lot of care needs to be maintained running one of each at the same time of similar length in the spread as if they overlap and you will have the worst mess you can imagine. As far as cons to their use coppers can kink if you aren't careful letting them out or reeling them in. They can also "birds nest" on you for the same reason. They both vary depth according to your trolling speed. Leadcore can kink but is more forgiving but the lead inside can break and somewhat weaken it without your noticing it but the main strength is actually in the sheathiing that surrounds it so usually you are ok. There is a learning curve to deploying either of them and you should attach either above them on the braid etc. not on the leadcore or copper itself. Either can be run from boards or straight off the back down the "chute" and with a complicated spread you may want to do this and run it short down the middle avoiding riggers etc. These are the basic considerations - others may have additional things. Tip: deploy each of them slowly.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks bud.thats really what I'm looking for is straight out.i was up to the sodus pro am last weekend and the boat I was out on Friday we ran 400-500 cooper.sat.and sun.i was the observer on another boat and they run leadcore.so that's what prompted me asking because I've never run either one on the finger lakes.sk8man don't you fish canandaigua quite often. 

I live right here and fish it but the recreational traffic in summer pushes me to fish other Fingers and Lake O. I have fished Canandaigua since the late 60's so I'm fairly familiar with it:lol:

It can work and it helps to know the lake but look for bait (which can often be right on or near bottom about now). 1 1/2 oz jigs with a tail from an alewife or shiner or shad. If you get light bite stay with it they can be finicky.

Edited by Sk8man

Ive been out here since the 60's and that one was a singular specimen. I would be surprised if there are others that big....

I run 2 downriggers, 3 cores and 1 copper in the summer. The trick is like sk8man said.. dont run 2 lines straight out the back of the boat that are going to be around the same depth. You will get tangled badly. Also, make sure you put the deeper running line out first. If you accidentally put the shallow line out first you will go through it with the deeper line. When you are running multiple setups the depths and the order on which you deploy them become very important to avoid trouble. Another thing to account for is leader length and thickness. Generally, the thinner leader, the more it will get hit by fish. Just remember trout do have teeth and get large so not too thin. 12lb test I like to use. Length 25-100ft. 50 is a good compromise. Someone else may say different. Good luck.