Port Bay Info

Hello, I'm hoping to get any available info on fishing Port Bay, as I'm struggling to find anything online regarding the bay itself. We are renting a house there next week and hope to find some action in the bay, as we aren't completely equipped to fish the main lake, especially for trout or salmon. Would be nice to get into some walleye or pike in the bay. I know the DEC has stocked walleye in the past. Does the bay support an active population, or do most of those fish end up out in the lake? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don’t know about walleye or pike but my father-in-law used to have a camp there and punished the smallmouth bass drifting crayfish behind a slowly trolled anchor.  It would kick up sediment and get the bass in a feeding frenzy.

Thanks for the info greenhornet! That's very interesting, never really heard of that technique before. Also good to know there's some smallmouth in there, as I was picturing the bay being dominated by largemouth. I love some good smallie action!

Thanks Rippin, so my assumption about mostly largemouth in the bay was accurate. In terms of the walleye, based on DEC stocking data, it looks like there was a solid 4 years in a row of stocking (2017-2020). I would hope some of those fish are still around and probably reaching legal size right around now.

I haven’t fished there in about 15 years since he sold it but I’m sure the fishery has changed since then.  We also did well with trolling fresh staging salmon in there the last day we fished it when it sold.  I may still have some pictures of the fresh silvers we got that day.  I didn’t realize at the time how odd that was that they looked like we caught them in July and not September.  Good luck fishing, let us know how you do.