Live scan type chart plotter.

I fish mostly the finger lakes, troll and jig for trout. A little bass. I’m thinking of buying one of the new live scope types chart plotter, get something on sale this holiday season. Does anyone have any experience w this in the finger lakes and have a recommendation, or watch out?  I will likely remove my Lowrance Ti2 9. Any transducer mounting recommendations?  When trolling I typically just use my kicker, not 36v bow mounted, but could use that if that makes sense to mount it on there vs somewhere else. Comments appreciated. Thanks. Will

I dont do the finger lakes but I fish oneida jigging and trolling.  I have the garmin version and it works awesome!!!!  I like it mounted on a pole mount because we spot lock and it doesnt work good with that feature (moves around to much). If you plan on trolling with it get a good pole mount, arclab and fingear seem to have good sturdy poles and mounts but pricey.

I used it for bass fishing and jigging for lake trout on Cayuga this year. I don’t troll but I bet it’d be a lot of fun to point it behind the boat and watch the fish come in. 

For bass fishing, I think trolling motor mounted transducer is the way to go. I started the season with it on a transducer pole but got sick of having to stow both my trolling motor and transducer pole whenever I wanted to run to a new spot. With it mounted on the TM I’m basically always panning around with the foot pedal. When it was pole mounted I never really panned around because it meant having to take my hand off my reel and stop fishing. 

I don’t think livescope has really helped me catch anymore lakers.  Laker fishing is more about finding a good spot with regular downscan sonar before even stopping and putting a lure in the water. Regular sonar works pretty good for vertical jigging anyways.  It’s just more fun seeing the fish react on livescope. 

I use a Garmin echomap  93sv with a ps30 transducer.  It's excellent for both trolling and jigging.  Most charters on Lake Ontario are going to the PS30 transducer with the Garmin.  It's an unbelievable live scope transducer that is perfect for trolling.  I have mine mounted differently than the standard way to get a longer beam angle that goes further in front and back of the boat.  You can literally see a fish and raise your rigger to the correct depth before the boat goes over the fish. I highly recommend.  Look up Rick with Yankee troller he can hook you up.

Take care,

Dan