question about 2 stroke compression/cylinders..

I have found very clean powerhead, and purchased it on ebay.. 120 psi each cyl, has carb, flywheel, stator under flywheel all intact.$350 shipped  My block is certainly able to be bored, damage not that severe..  I found a shop in auburn that would bore it for $120 which is half what I was quoted elsewhere.. So with the bore, new pistons and rings the cost would be similar to the used powerhead.....  however, now I have a ton of   spare parts including carb, flywheel stator, timing parts, linkage etc.. guy has close to 5,000 ebay sales and great feedback in selling used marine parts, so I am hopeful... we'll see how this works out... I really want  a new   20 hp 4 stroke,   but they are bordering 4K with tax and installation, and its just not in the cards financially... I'll post when its running.... [I HOPE!]

37 minutes ago, bulletbob said:

I have found very clean powerhead, and purchased it on ebay.. 120 psi each cyl, has carb, flywheel, stator under flywheel all intact.$350 shipped  My block is certainly able to be bored, damage not that severe..  I found a shop in auburn that would bore it for $120 which is half what I was quoted elsewhere.. So with the bore, new pistons and rings the cost would be similar to the used powerhead.....  however, now I have a ton of   spare parts including carb, flywheel stator, timing parts, linkage etc.. guy has close to 5,000 ebay sales and great feedback in selling used marine parts, so I am hopeful... we'll see how this works out... I really want  a new   20 hp 4 stroke,   but they are bordering 4K with tax and installation, and its just not in the cards financially... I'll post when its running.... [I HOPE!]

I bought a 9.9 Suzuki extra long shaft kicker with all the bells and whistles for $3000. The basic version is about $ 600 cheaper and with some very little adjustments it becomes a 20 horse . 3 or 4 year old ones go for about $1800.that is something to consider as well.