Never done it, never seen it so how do you use copper wire

I would like to know how to fish with copper wire. I understand you need a good real with 600 feet? of copper wire, and some wires are better than others. You also use dipsy divers with a spin doc, or smart fish ect then spoons or flys. Is there an article on doing it some where that can fill in the details, or can some one post some more details or corrections to my assumptions..

Take a reel put on 300 yards of 30# power pro then tie on a small swivel, twist on 200', 300', 400', 500' or 600' of copper then twist on another small swivel then tie at least 10' but no more than 50' of 30# florocarbon or mono the tie on a snap/snap swivel put lure on and go fishing. Really it is that easy.

Here are the approx depths of the lengths of copper:

200' = 44'

300' = 66'

400' = 88'

500' = 110'

600' = 132'

Then it goes up and down when you turn and up when you go faster and down when you go slower.

CC

CC,

When you say twist on the copper, do you simply run it through the swivel and then twist it on itself, or is there some sort of knot to use. Don't want to do this and then lose my copper and lure from a failed connection.

Thanks!!

Adam, I run copper thru the swivel twice, then wrap tight. Finish it off with 5 min epoxy over the knot, blending the epoxy into a fine taper past the knot. You will have piece of mind with strength and the bonus of having the knot slide thru the guides and not getting hung up.

Adam, also if you don't want to have the swivel going thru your guides and reel guide. Use an albright knot, it is smooth and leaves no ragged ends, and should not catch in the guides either. Both ways work, I use the albright with no troubles, but it can be a pain to tie and get it tightened up. 30 lb flouro leader and about 8 or 9 wraps goes good, any more and it will be hard to tighten any less it will loose strength. I use Seaguar, for reference, some leader material may wrap differently though. Just another way.

Mark

What Gill-T says:

run copper thru the swivel twice, then wrap tight.

Sometimes I put shrink tubing on the twist, sometimes like when I have my dipsy trip and marry one of my coppers, I just cut, grab a swivel, through twice and twist then put it back out. My 600' copper usually is 600' for only about 2 trips, this year it is already a 580'. The stuff really is easy to work with and seems to be just as strong after you splice it as before.

CC

Went out on a teaching charter with Ernie L.from Fish Doctor Charters and learned enough in one day to feel confident enough to run copper myself. I thought it was money well spent and have done well with copper since. Just my two cents.

Dion