A lot of guys are running larger diameter shallower pitch props for kickers.  Those props are better at pushing heavy loads at slower speeds.  Main advantage is better bite, more control,  and less prop slip as compared to a prop that is designed to operate at higher speeds.  Some specific kickers like the Yammy High Thrust or the Merc Bigfoots have a gearbox that has a lower gearing as well which helps.  

I swapped out a 3 blade OEM prop on my 9.9 merc 4 stroke that I use on my driftboat for a Solas Amita 4 blade in a 12" pitch versus the 16" pitch prop that came with the outboard - noticable difference in performance.  Boat is limited to about 7mph because its a non-planing hull and either prop could get me there but the 4 blade solas definitely moves a lot of water and keeps the boat on track.

Thanks for the info. I have a 19 foot Lowe and am replacing a 2006 Johnson 8 hp that was belt driven it was loud and vibrated like crazy. We are planning to fish on Sunday or Monday so we will see how the new motor pushes the boat.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:16 PM, AnglingAddict said:

I swapped out a 3 blade OEM prop on my 9.9 merc 4 stroke that I use on my driftboat for a Solas Amita 4 blade in a 12" pitch versus the 16" pitch prop that came with the outboard - noticable difference in performance.  

AA: What is the model# of the Solace four blade prop you use. I have a 2006 Merc 9.9 4 stroke with the stock three blade prop that I use as a kicker for trolling on my 19' glass boat.  Just wondering if a four blade will be better suited for 1.8-2.5 mph that I usually am trolling at.

10 hours ago, stinger said:

AA: What is the model# of the Solace four blade prop you use. I have a 2006 Merc 9.9 4 stroke with the stock three blade prop that I use as a kicker for trolling on my 19' glass boat.  Just wondering if a four blade will be better suited for 1.8-2.5 mph that I usually am trolling at.

Im on vacation right now but when I get back will grab it for you. 

I lied - not a 12 pitch.  Can’t remember what the OEM prop was but it was smaller with significantly more pitch.  Here’s what fit my 2023 merc 9.9 4-stroke.  (Not a Bigfoot motor)

IMG_0712.jpeg

Pushes my driftboat perfect at idle and was approx same size prop and pitch that was on my T9.9 high thrust that I had on a 21’ fishmaster.  Plenty of clearance between prop and anticavitation plate.  

IMG_0713.jpeg

Edited by AnglingAddict
Added image

Thanks for digging that up. The only info I have on my stock prop is "P 8.5" stamped on the back of one of the blades. The blades are cheap enough to experiment with. I spend more than that on vehicle and boat fuel for one trip.  I appreciate your help AA.

Not trying to steal your thread cnyh2ofowler. Someone may chime in on this and answer your question.

prop pitch.jpg