Just for safety purposes alone I would say to replace it, you can get a decent one for $100-$150. I still hear alot of people talking on mine when I'm out on the lake, I have a mounted VHF and a floating handheld VHF just in case. If your cell phone gets wet before you can make a call for help, a VHF might just save your life someday. 

A VHF is never a bad idea. I have one that came with a new to-me boat that I would be willing to donate to you. Just pay for the shipping. If you are interested drop me a message and we can figure it out.

any time you're on big water I think it's foolish to not have a VHF radio just in case something breaks down and you need a tow or god forbid but if someone gets sick or has a bad injury you need to be able to contact the Coast Guard so they can have an ambulance waiting for you to get back to shore.

I went the extra mile when I upgraded my 20-year-old radio. I bought one with the GPS already on it then registered it through BOATUS. now if I am sinking or have other problems I just push the big red button and they know everything about me and my boat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seneca Slammer said:

Nice 

I don't know what channels to monitor on LO. On Erie, most guys use I think 79 on the west end and 68 on the central basin and east. but I check both of them and use 68 most of the time. back when I salmon fished Lake Michigan I used 68 there. another thing I like doing is putting my radio on scan then if guys switch channels to share info with a friend and not broadcast all over the place.

On 5/7/2024 at 9:02 AM, sherman brown said:

I don't know what channels to monitor on LO. On Erie, most guys use I think 79 on the west end and 68 on the central basin and east. but I check both of them and use 68 most of the time. back when I salmon fished Lake Michigan I used 68 there. another thing I like doing is putting my radio on scan then if guys switch channels to share info with a friend and not broadcast all over the place.

It depends on what part of the lake you're fishing, here on the East end of LO it's usually 72.