Transducer mounting for dummies

We are ready to install our xducer for our Furuno FCV 582L. We plan on mounting the new xducer on a plastic xducer plate picked up through Cabelas.

From what I have seen on location (angle) of these plates they have all been on bigger boats with what I call a flat bottom. Thus the mounting plate is parallel to the bottom of the boat (amd maybe even with it) and to the water's surface.

On my aluminum if I mount the plate even with the bottom edge of the boat it will be at an angle lower towards the center of the boat and higheer towards the outside of the boat.

Now the question........do I mount the plate parallel to the surface of the water or paarallel (even) with the bottom edge of the boat at an angle??

Also if I bevel the bottom edge of the plate that is even with the bottom of the boat is this a bad idea resulting in more turbulunce or is it going to be better that it is bevelled??

Thanks guys,

Clarke

Waterlogged - Mount the mounting board on the transom even with the bottom. You don't want the extra drag & turbulance to mess up the transducer especially if it has a speed indicator on it. However mount the tranducer bracket & the tranducer depending on what you want to see and when you want to see it. If you want to see directly below the boat while trolling then mount tranducer parrallel to the water. If you want to see slightly out to the one side then follow the contour of the hull. If you want to see while your cruising around then mount the transducer just a little bit lower than your hull and point slightly forward. If you want to follow you cannonball then point it slightly to the rear. If positioning the board is the only way you can get the transducer mounted for the view you want, then by all means bevel it.

One tip - check prop rotation. Mount it on side of boat that is on the downward rotation of the prop.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Waterlog I have a plate I put on a Lund but when I mounted mine I put it flush with the bottom of the boat on the starboard side.I installed the new 620 from furuno But I'm having issues with bubbles going in to waves.I went back and read the manual I got from Lund and it says if you are going to mount a plate mount it 1/2 in from the bottom of the boat.the only reason I can think of them doing that is to allow air to come from the bottom of the boat and channel it away from the transducer.I am going to get a hold of furuno this week and see if other people are have trouble with the new 620 finder on aluminum boats.I do like my plate anyway it's nice not having to drill holes every time you change something.I just figured I would let you know my experences with the transum plate.Good luck.

Longline, Erbyjoe,

Thanks for all the tips and info. After much deliberation, discussion and rereading of the installation instructions it's finally done.

Should have posted "Mathematics for Dummies" :$:$

Maeasured the transom angle at 22 degrees and put the supplied shim on in the right direction. Prior to actually screwing it down did the recomended measurements and found that the bow of the sensor was lower than the stern - not recommended. Almost got to the point of trimming the plastic shim. :evil: :evil: Well lo and behold it was 90 degrees minus 78 for 12 degree transom angle NOT 100 minus 78 for 22 degrees. (Took our third team member to point this out - it was one of those can't see the forest for the trees issues. So now the stern is slightly lower than the bow of the snsor so it is correctly mounted.

We did cut the plate as Tom recommended in his diagram but left the 20 degree bevel on the bottom edge of the mounting plate and mounted it flush with the bottom edge of the boat hoping the 20 degree bevel would prevent any turbulence, instead of mounting it 1/2" up from the bottom of the boat as recommended.

We think it came out great and having the plastic plate to mount other xducers or replacement is going to be a big benefit. Now to get it into the water and prov it works correcetly.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Clarke

p.s. - This entire project took a long time, with a lot of research and questions to you guys and many other board members. It was a slow deliberate project which got done right the first time and exactly the way we wanted.

So to all who provided guideance and suggestions - Thank You