Seneca River Catfish

Hello, my son has it in his head that he wants to catch catfish. He has not caught any yet. I am planning on taking him to the seneca river either launching out of montezuma or port byron. Can anyone tell me what area would be better? It's a 60+ mile long river. I am mostly a troller, so not a very accomplished catfish person. If anyone knows any good areas on that river this time of year, I would appreciate any info. I am assuming that the catfishing scene is not as secretive as most other types of fishing. Lol. 

Posted (edited)

We used t catch a lot of them at night at Mays Point (between Savannah and Seneca Falls) near the Montezuma Refuge. As a kid I caught a Blue Cat there that was 9 inches between the eyes (didn't have a scale):smile: Fished from shore though.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not familiar with the Seneca River, but if you ever want to fish the lower Genny let me know for some details. Lots of cats, and a great place to take a young person for lots of action. We usually use cut fish for bait..... lakers, salmon scraps, etc....... and hang chunks hooked through the skin under a slip float. A surprising number of cats in the Genny are not bottom oriented but are up off bottom and are structure/current oriented. Seneca River cats probably aren't much different. 

PM “Chowder” on this site if you want a guided trip for cats on the Cattaurgus. The run has started