Where are the rock bass

Fishing in little sodus bay and its small mouth as far as you can see. So many small mouth we can’t find any Rocky’s. Don’t know what to do. We thought about going on the big lake and trying to catch perch. Anyone know where to catch perch on the big lake? We were hoping to catch a bunch of Rocky’s but I think that dream is over. 

I experienced the same. Not sure where the perch in the big lake would be but start looking on the points and work your way deeper.

Posted (edited)

I was told by some locals that it has to be the right water temperature for the Rockies to run it. I have been fishing for them since 1993 over Memorial Day. I have been in a boat fishing for them and it has been 95 degrees. by far the last two years have been the worst. This year we only caught 15 keepers. We did manage to catch 75 small and large mouth.  

Edited by ski-dooz

I gave up on finding them in big Sodus yrs ago.  Just not there like they were.  But, I would suggest you try either Keuka or Skaneateles lakes. They are loaded right now 

Pequod, my brother is a long term fisherman of rockies on Sodus.  He thinks the decline is due to them being overfished there while they are on their beds.  In particular he thinks the tournaments for rockbass have hurt them.  I imagine the gobies have not helped either.  He mostly just fishes for the perch now.

I fish for Rockies to eat them. We always threw back small ones and only kept the really big ones. There has been a definite decline in the Rocky population. I do know that a lot of the charter boat captains will go in and fish them out in the early spring and take them to processors to pay for their docs. To be honest, I really like perch, but we never caught very many and the ones we caught were small. this year we thought about Running down to Cayuga Lake and trying to catch some perch. I’m told their population is pretty healthy and they have some big ones. we have a really nice place. We stay at on Little Sodus Bay so I hate to give it up, but if there’s no fish to catch going to have to make a move.

Definitely what happened on Sodus.  I think you should try those two fingerlakes ski dooz.  They are not quite as big as Lake Ontario Rockies but with a little weeding out, you can have a bunch in the 1 lb class.  In addition, you can get some perch in either lake and maybe even a walleye in Skaneateles 

Did I read this correctly??, ROCK BASS TOURNAMENTS???... Honestly, is that a thing??... Geez, Trout,Bass, Perch, Walleye ,  even Catfish  tourneys down here on the Susquehanna,,   Do we REALLY need more oddball tournaments so sponsors can make a few bucks?... I dunno, but this is getting ridiculous.. Overfished  Rock Bass, Sunnies, Perch, Crappies........ On the Great Lakes no less.. Commercially  caught as well, so the captain can pay his dock fees???/. great.......

Ski-dooz I know, it does seem strange.  They are very fine table fare when taken from cold water and like bass and bluegills/sunfish they are very vulnerable when spawning.