Late but happy start on Lake Memphremagog

After towing my 16 ft. AlumaCraft 3,000 miles from AZ it finally got wet in Vermont waters. Understanding that the Salmon run was in April here in the N.E Kingdom I gave it a shake down run and picked up two Salmon. Both 18", 2+ lbs. . 30ft. out the back, 25+ down, Ivan's lures. Was a little surprised to see that the first one had two Alewifes in it's mouth/throat and still took my lure. I didn't think they were in lakes other than Champlain. So I changed the second line to a Crazy Ivan's #069 Purple Alewife and got the second one in minutes.

Good clear day, lake like glass.

Speedy

18 inch 2.25 lb Salmon.jpg

In the net.jpg

Lures of the day.jpg

• Like 1

Are you fishing into Canada or staying on the VT side?

I haven't been in Magog in a while, we used to fish for smelt thru the ice over the sunken islands.

I haven't had my boat up there in probably 15 years,

But I've wondered about fishing the upper lake.

I've never been beyound the border marker bouys.

So far only the Vermont bottom end. Don't have a Canadian license. Up there is the deep water, down in VT mostly 25-27 ft average. But I found a couple holes. LOL  Got-em. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

I recall that the VT side was pretty shallow and it didn't start dropping until you got up to the barrels.

One day I may rent a place on the upper lake and give it a shot.

Thanks and Good Luck!!!

No...Actually the first one had two Alewives in his mouth and still took my lure. That's when I changed my second line to a Alewives looking lure and got the second one in minutes. I was told that the N.E. Kingdom lake were free of Alewives and lamprey eels. I doubled checked VT Game & Fish color chart hoping they were smelt or anything else. Nope. They are in the in-land locked lake.

Well,

That ain't good.

They have succeeded in screwing up every smelt holding water body I'm aware of that they have been "magically" introduced to.

Down here in the flatlands (CT) we used to have a couple great kokanee lakes that are no longer so too great due to the introduction of alewifes (East Twin and West Hill).

Posted (edited)

Salmon, lakers,brown trout fishing are excellent on the Memphre even with the high pressure and many charters. I know personnel 3 charters on the lake and they never report any alewives in the lake, there is a abundant smelt population and a excellent water quality.

The Quebecers thanks Vermont Fish and Wildlife for maintaining such a quality fishery.

Edited by Andre wallyandre

I just spoke with a friend of mine that run a charter for over 15 years on The Memphremagog and he is also a biologist and he confirm that there is no alewives. Salmon are feeding on smelt and a little bit on small baret (not sure about the name in English)

1 hour ago, Andre wallyandre said:

I just spoke with a friend of mine that run a charter for over 15 years on The Memphremagog and he is also a biologist and he confirm that there is no alewives. Salmon are feeding on smelt and a little bit on small baret (not sure about the name in English)

That's great. I hope he is right. Next time I will bag and freeze them and get them over to Game and Fish. Didn't check the DNA but just compared to the color photos on their flyer. I'm still fishing either way. Thanks, Speedy