Odd gas question....

Was filling up my dad's boat this weekend (onshore), and was approached by a gentleman who asked an interesting question.  He asked, "since that isn't being used for road use, how do you write off the additional road tax added to the price?".  (He was a retired CPA and was curious).  He had a point as we used to do this when filling up snowmobiles years ago at certain gas stations.  So, for the weekend warriors who fill up onshore, is there a legal way to write off the road tax on gas used in boats?

I think this is wishful thinking.  Looks like most of the taxes arent really specific to a "road tax" although most of the revenue is used for highways and bridges etc.

One could argue that your boat on a trailer uses the road but what about my mower?  She uses a lot of fuel and doesn't use the road at all.  =0)

• 2 weeks later...

We have a refund program in Virginia that you scan your receipt and certify that the gas was purchased at a traditional gas station versus Marina and you used it for boating or lawn tractor…non motor vehicle use.  They send a refund of fuel taxes related to road use.  You are required to maintain paper records for 5 years.   The price delta between gas station and marina in my area for non-ethanol gas is between $1.25 and $2.00 per gas, but most lake area gas stations price their non-ethanol gas just below marina prices.  So you then have to figure the travel cost in terms of time shopping for lowest price. I use the refund process because I use more gas mowing and weed eating 2 acres of lawn than I do boating/fishing.