Kicker motor throttle control

What is everybody using for throttle controls on your kicker motors??

My 21' G3 has a Yamaha 8 HP (HT) with the controls remote to the helm. It uses a standard Yamaha side mount digital electronic control mounted right behind the controls for my 250 HP main motor.

It could be that I just do not have the feel for controlling the speed while trolling as I as yet only have about ten hours of use, but I am having a hell of a time making fine adjustments for speed. Was just wondering if it is an equipment thing or an untrained newbie hand thing? (opening for Ray K. to make his mischief).

Slowly working my way up to the big leagues. Have a couple of trips under my belt now flat-lining up to four poles out the back (So far have managed to keep the Skunk off the boat too). Have just received my planer riggers and Otter boats and should have the mounting base for this weekend. Next step for me will be adding a couple of wire rods and walker deeper divers. By early next month I will be adding the Big Jon downriggers and some Cisco systems rod holders to move from the Trout waters to the Salmon waters. Hell of a learning curve and uphill movement. Don't know how I would manage without the generous help and experience of the great folks on LOU!! :clap:

Stay tuned for more "Newbie Chronicles" soon...

i use my hand...... turn the little throttle thingy .....hope this helps... actually after trying to make small adjustments .2 tenths.,i discovered if i put my main moter in reverse and it stopes the prop and will drop the speed .2 tenths ...8 years later of wakling to the back and fighting to find the happy speed.

Dave,

If you are interested in the controllking shoot me a pm I can give you a better price than off the website. I just put one on my boat and it is incredible. So much easier to really dial in the speed, I am able to go up .1mph with just a turn of the dial. I like the ability to go to FT and then back down to where you were with a flip of the switch, can't wait to try this on kings this fall. Simply to install on the Yamaha also. Good Luck, worth the $$$$ IMHO.

Rich

A very different and probably cheaper setup is the type that is used on "brush bandit "wood chippers.The cable is connected to a screw type round handle which enables you to do very fine adjustments. There is a push button in the middle that allows you to pull or push the cable in and out for large instant adjustments. I installed one of those on an Evinrude 9.5 that I fixed up with an after market remote setup.