What motor oil?

GAMBLER

I was wondering what everyone recommended for motor oil. What weight and brand. I have a 230 horse mercruiser motor in my boat. I can't remember off hand what weight oilI used last season. I will have to look in my garage.

Dear Gambler,

Use a straight weight 30 or 40. Shell Rotella T diesel oil is one of the best and contains the vital zinc compounds necessary for survival of your camshaft, lifters and rocker arms in your "Marine Engine". The EPA has forced the oil manufacturers to remove these vital compounds for extended life of catalytic converters. All the sunburst marked oils no longer contain these vital zinc compounds.

All the diesel oils are good, but Shell's has the best analysis. Or you can add a 1/4 can of GM EOS supplement to the oil of your choice at each oil change. But BEWARE, the EPA is trying to remove all the zinc additives from ALL engine oils! It's only a matter of time. .....Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill (51 years of experience with GM Marine Engines)

JET boat 51 years years ago they musta been making the transition from steam ,i thought muskybob was the only surviving ww1 vet on this board :$ THanks for your sharing of your talents most old timers know what used to work, your right up to date with your post thanks again.....

Dear Ray K..... Approx. 51 years ago, (1955) Chevrolet introduced the first OHV V-8 to their line. I got to hear, see and drive everyone of those fire-breathing engines all the way to 1970. It's been downhill ever since. Unleaded gas, no more engine distinctive "exhaust "sounds" And now the cost of gasoline exceeds your monthly boat payment! Times are changing! I just hope that the good old USA survives!

And may your next boat be Steam Powered!!!...sincerely,

....Jet Boat Bill