Outrigger Advice

Hi Gang,

Thinking of toying with the idea of outriggers for my boat. Was looking at one from Tigress for like $100 pair. Did some research and they stated that the fiberglass outriggers for tuna fishing was too light. I 'm thinking that wire dipseys or Leadcore would put an awful bend in these. Does anyone have any experience with these or with Outriggers in general. I already have the outrigger holders mounted on my boat. BTW, the $$ amounts vary greatly on these...easily spend a $1,000 on this.

Thanks,

Bob

I use my outriggers strickly with laed core, mono and braid. I would never run a dipsy on a rigger. My opinion the fish would have to release both the dipsy and the outrigger releases which seems to me a lot of slack between the pole and dipsy. I found it was a beeter hook just running.

Howie

Leadcore, flatlines, or even copper shouldnt be a problem for most outriggers but the pull of a dipsey should be your only concern. I run Dotline outriggers on my boat. http://www.mengo-ind.com. They are aluminum and i reinforced them with a steel insert to give them a stronger backbone in the first 5'. I would search for steel outriggers but as long as you "baby" them aluminum will work. Unless the waves are over 3-4', i run my dipsey rods in the outriggers without any problems. They really are a great addition to any boat.

The last couple of years I've been running more 4 wire dipsy spreads. The outriggers keep my "high" dipsy away from my low dipsy much better. Most of the time if I'm running just 2 wires then I won't use my outriggers.