Years ago we just ran certain lures with others because the speed gave the right action on the lures. I am reading a lot about boats "running programs" which I assume is just a certain set of lures that run good together. Is there more to it than that? I was thinking of posting the question. Maybe they mean certain colors as well??? Just trying to catch up on having not been out there in a long long time (mid-late 80"s, lol).

I realize browns will be fished differently than kings vs lakers as far as a program goes ( certain lures). The question is what are the "programs" for any one species targeted?

Thanks,

Spike

Spike,

Back in the 80's program fishing was introduced and written about extensively in InFisherman by John Orvac, TROUTMAN!!! A program was lures that shared a common speed for example if you were running suttons then you also ran "00" dodgers (SLOW), if you were running Pirates you would stick to them, not mixing them with J-plugs or dodgers, thus a "program" was similar lures (could be colors/patterns) run together, like you have spoke about in your post.

NOW, a program is simply anything that works on a particular day for a particular guy. So instead of a spook program being every rigger mupped with black/white spoons with a glow ladder we say the spook program is working on the center and the NBK program on the outdowns. Or if you are in Oswego it goes somthing like this: "The program I showed you at the dock on the center rigger, the same program as yesterday on the outdowns and the dipsy's are working with the sunny day program...Yep even though it's cloudy!!"

Pretty much the program talk is the "reality TV series" of the lake!! Don't get hung up on it about the time you have figured it out the rules change!!

CC

Spike,

Back in the 80's program fishing was introduced and written about extensively in InFisherman by John Orvac, TROUTMAN!!! A program was lures that shared a common speed for example if you were running suttons then you also ran "00" dodgers (SLOW), if you were running Pirates you would stick to them, not mixing them with J-plugs or dodgers, thus a "program" was similar lures (could be colors/patterns) run together, like you have spoke about in your post.

NOW, a program is simply anything that works on a particular day for a particular guy. So instead of a spook program being every rigger mupped with black/white spoons with a glow ladder we say the spook program is working on the center and the NBK program on the outdowns. Or if you are in Oswego it goes somthing like this: "The program I showed you at the dock on the center rigger, the same program as yesterday on the outdowns and the dipsy's are working with the sunny day program...Yep even though it's cloudy!!"

Pretty much the program talk is the "reality TV series" of the lake!! Don't get hung up on it about the time you have figured it out the rules change!!

CC

That is what I figured but thought I'd ask anyway. Out on the ocean you get pretty much the same thing, except there I have connections and I was an integral part of the loop, LOL.

Spike

• 3 weeks later...
Spike,

Don't get hung up on it about the time you have figured it out the rules change!!

CC

:) I agree. I Mate on different boats, It's not uncommon for me to run a working program on one boat in the morning trip, think i have it all figured out? Jump ships for the next charter, and have to run a whole different game to get a hit! Some programs only "work" on certain boats? I believe you have to find what works for you, but be willing to change to what works for the fish! (that hour :lol: ) Good luck.

Well said D, Or in some cases for that 30 minutes. Have had them shut down like the switch was turmed off, change and back in business. Find what spread works on your boat, and make it your go to program. But if the fish shut down, start changing. Good Luck.

Rich