Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

After a season of having slipped my boat in Sandy Creek I took it home to service and clean it, but it seems that the scum is impossible to remove. I tried starbright gel ,slimy Grimy, Toilet bowl cleaner, scrubbing and pressure washing. All the scrubbing is starting to remove some of the paint but the scum does not come off. I am seriously considering having the hull sandblasted, but before going that way, I would like to know if there is some magical cleaner. Does anybody have a magical trick ,or Is sandblasting the only solution?

Posted

Try some Aluminum bright.  I get it at NAPA store.  Mix 50 / 50 . Spray on, set for couple of minutes then wash off. Used it for years on pontoon boats. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Fishmedic said:

Try some Aluminum bright.  I get it at NAPA store.  Mix 50 / 50 . Spray on, set for couple of minutes then wash off. Used it for years on pontoon boats. 

I went to NAPA and read the info on the Aluminum bright. It will clean bare aluminum, but it does not work on painted surfaces. But going to Napa gave me another idea. Using paint stripper cleaning of the hull to bare aluminum and then repainting the hull with the exact type of paint needed to keep the hull clean. I placed the boat under a hoist so I can raise it enough to get everywhere I need to put the paint stripper and immediately afterwards spray it with selfetching primer.  So thank you for your inspirational suggestion.

Edited by rolmops

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...