Which "RIG" would go 9 hours without a hit  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which "RIG" would go 9 hours without a hit

• Tom's Blue Whale Slider
    • Capt. Carl's 374' copper
    • Tom's mag spoon dipsy
    • The MOONSHINE TNT on center rigger
    • Stinger gator on a slide diver
    • The 12' ugly stick on the port side pulling a dipsy, snubber and #1 king rig!

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Fished with Tom (Fishinman) and Ray (Ray Kxctzskiski)

The day began with Ray calling me at 5am asking the combination to the cabin so he could "secure his rain gear" translated -- Steal moonshine lures. Well got there just before 6, approved of the rig that Ray wanted to run for nearly 9 hours without a hit, Tom arrived the rain began we observed a moment of silence for Michael Jackson and we finally left the dock.

Ray had already expressed his concern over fishing on a boat that didn't leave the dock until 6:03 so I placated him by allowing him to use the port out and down exclusively and to run his "Rig" -- the one he ran for nearly 9 hours without a hit. Ray had his rigger down to 50' as we came off plane and settled down to a trolling speed of 3 mph -- later (about 21 seconds) I would find out that 3mph was not a proper trolling speed and I tried to make adjustments to lower it a bit, but the current kept us moving at 2.7 and that was .2 too much for the "Rig" that he ran for nearly 9 hours without a hit. I was then informed that Musky Bob had tampered with the tackle box and the most efficacious lure was not on board and did I have a black and purple gold star spoon with a brass hoard??????? or something like that.

To sum up Ray's day of fishing, in an attempt to make a short story long. Ray's purple lure popped almost right away at 51 foot and Ray managed to land a small brown atlantic. The next fish hit on Ray's R&R purple seeded watermelon slider a small rainbow. All the while Rays other "Rig" that he ran for nearly 9 hours without a hit ran silently along off the port side of the boat at 2.7 mph.

At 7:30 Tom and I, tired of the dumb "cat that ate the canary" look we were treated to for the last hour, decided we would begin to fish. I grabbed a slide diver set up and put it out on the starboard side of the boat, Tom did some switching of his rigger and we sent a Saturday Night Special out on the 374' copper after a long story. We set the boat on a N/E troll with the plan to turn at 250 fow. The slide diver took the next fish (167' out 3 no ring) then we turned at 250' marked a school of bait, put in a waypoint, began to circle the bait and the Saturday Night Special on the copper started screaming. 10 min later Tom boated his first ever copper fish -- a nice 12 pound king. Shortly thereafter a steel hit a blue whale slider on Tom's 54' rigger. After a long dryspell, Tom's rigger popped again, this time it was the mag frog down 70' foot. Then suddenly--as we were talking about dipsy hits, or the lack thereof, Tom's dipsy began to peal out and after a short fight (the dispy didn't release) he boated a nice steely on a mag orange crush.

All this action and still two "rigs" had not been touched all day, my center rigger and Ray's "rig" that he ran for nearly 9 hours without a hit. We both switched things up knowing that we were nearly out of time and neither one of us wanted to end up with a skunk rig. Ray put out his best spinner with a hammer fly and I pulled out a Moonshine TNT (yes, I was playing dirty) we dropped them down and waited. Moments later a rod began a tuggin', the tip just a shakin', a battled ensued and the small rainbow was lifted over the back of the boat with the............................TNT hanging from it's mouth.

Good luck with the poll.

CC

Can't believe that Ray logged in under 5 names and got the poll wrong!!

It was a great day, lots of fun, outstanding guys I am glad we could put it together. Tom is a heck of a fisherman, Ray keeps the conversation moving!!!

CC

: THE OAK 6-30Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:57 am

Home Port: trailer/oak

Outdoor Knowledge: Expert

just got off the phone with jason fishing the oak same place we fished yesterday,there 6 for 6 at 9am with a 25 lb king in the box(not in derby saved 25 bucks) ..... trolling at 2.0 mph ,told him to bump it up to 3mph plus if there arms get to tired of REELING IN FISH. Seems like someone on this site mentioned the most important thing of fishing was the THREE S's=speed,speed,speed. But im shure whoever posted the speed thing was a rookie.

Always Learning Or Never Learning !!!

wonder who that was????????