Pro Am boat length rules

I would have liked to try and fish in the Pro Ams but my boat is only 16 feet long and the rules say the boat has to be at least 18 feet long. My boat is a very deep boat and I have had it out in rough water. I know there is a safety factor involved and I wouldn't risk going out in deep water or to far from shore in a small boat in dangerous conditions. I have to wonder how many more people would sign up in the Pro Ams if the boat length was lowered. In the spring of the year I know a lot of boats are fishing very close to shore for spring browns and not going out very far. I can't afford to go out and buy a two foot bigger boat this year so I had to miss out. I wonder if they would consider lowering the boat length to 16 feet instead of 18 feet?

Do you fish 4 guys out of your boat? I had a 16 footer, but any more than 3 guys in it and we were too crowded to move. The rules of the proam require an observer so you would have 4 guys.

I would suggest that you, until next year when you can afford a bigger boat, that you get your observer and another fisherman and put a post up on this website looking for an owner of a larger boat to join your team and you will cover the entry fee and costs. I got a feeling you would find someone.

OR,

Charter a boat to fish the tourney a bit more expensive, but you would be in the pro division and if you split the cost 4 ways your talking only a several hundred a person.

CC

You could fish the open division which is new this year. I think it's run like a 1 day tourney on both days. There is also the friday 1 day tourney. No boat length restrictions, and I believe you bring in your best 3 fish. I think you have to weigh in by noon, but you can go out earlier than all the other boats, and you can also trailer it instead of having to keep it in the water. Hope this helps. - Mick

Jimmy,

Yes, as Mick said, you can fish the open division. It's new this year and was created for fisherman who want to get involved in the Pro Am, but have a smaller boat, don't want to get an observer, or can't commit to both days. So yes....you can fish out of a 16 ft boat...sign up for the open division :yes::yes:

The reason there is an 18 ft minimum, is that the Pro Am committee is concerned about safety. Each day, they must evaluate the conditions and safety factors based on the smallest boat entered. If they feel it's to rough for the smaller boats in the field to safely go out, they may opt to postpone the start or cancel that day of the event.

Reading your other post Jim, it looks like you've learned your lession about the bananas so.......if you would like to fish a ProAm with a Pro team I am willing to give you another shot. ;) I am looking for another guy to fill a spot for the Oswego ProAm. If you would be willing to submit to a cooler/bag search and possibly a body cavity search I might be willing to allow you on my boat again...LOL.. :o

Give me a call on my cell phone ASAP for all the details/cost etc. 716-390-0085

Paul