cannon speed and temp unit

i recently purchased a cannon speed and temp unit..I used it last week at cayuga and it seemed to work fine but yesterday on ontario i started having problems with losing my readings...I put the coated cable on(the blow back is unreal)..It started off fine but after an hour or so when i brought it up to switch lures and sent it back down till the unit was reading 105 (which took a 175 ft of coated cable out on downrigger).. it would work for a few minutes and then id lose my readings again...id bring up the downrigger a little it would work for a few minutes and go blank again.. I've changed battery in the probe thinking maybe that was my issue but it wasnt.. So i've got not a clue what it could be

any suggestions?

I have owned SNT's since they first came out (for better or worse). Try this trick, wet a towel and wrap it around the rigger boom and the spring antenna . Cannon cannot explain why this works but it does. I need to re-wet mine every 30 minutes or so.

I have owned SNT's since they first came out (for better or worse). Try this trick, wet a towel and wrap it around the rigger boom and the spring antenna . Cannon cannot explain why this works but it does. I need to re-wet mine every 30 minutes or so.

What he said. Same thing happens tomine down 90 or so feet. Wet towel no problems. Just make sure you remove the towel before hitting the rigger ball up so it doesn't get wrapped with the cable onto the spool.

Spike

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this post and was wondering. Do you guys have the riggers with the metal booms or doesn't it matter what the boom is made out of. I was looking at purchasing a Cannon speed and temp since it is the least expensive and I would not be running it all the time. Reason, I fish Lake Erie mostly and only run riggers once in a while. I just can't justify spending the extra money on something I'll use a handful of times a year. On the other hand, if the Cannon's do this on all booms maybe I'll skip them. BTW, I have the Unitroll's with the composite booms.

All the reports I have seen say that the towel trick works on all riggers. FYI , Cannon has discontinued the Speed N Temp so the price you are paying is for a discontinued unit.

Don't really care that it's discontinued. I just can't justify spending 400-500 bucks for a new unit or 200-300 for a used. I just need something cheep that will work 3-4 times a year. Hopefully it would last a at least a few years and by then, maybe, I'll be in a better possition to buy a better unit. Most of the time down here there is no need for one. For instance, I'm still fishing for walleye in 25-30 FOW. The only time it would be nice to have one is when we head up there for salmon. It just stinks that there is no other options.