Salt Water

Dear Ray K,

Lightly spray ALL electrical terminations with WD-40 before you get there. Lightly spray (with freshwater) all of the boat after each days outing. (to remove salt spray) If you have a riveted style aluminum hull, I would recommend NO SALT WATER USE. Be sure you have a 142 degree thermostat in your engine to prevent excessive salt precip. in the engine water jackets. Flush the I/O and engine with freshwater as soon as possible after removing from the water. Spray your hand rails and fishing gear with WD40 also. And hand wipe any excess off also. Enjoy your salt water adventure! I really enjoyed my adventure in salt water (San Carlos Bay/Sanibel) with my aluminum 23 footer (welded hull).

Respectfully submitted,

Jet Boat Bill

I own a 19 foot riveted aluminum Starcraft in MA that is exclusively used in salt water and knock on wood,so far no problems at all.Take care not to get to deep into the water when you launch because the salt will eat up your brakes(not next week but 3 months from now).Also make extra sure to have enough grease in your trailer wheel bearings because if salt water gets in there it will destroy the bearings.When you are done fishing,hose down your rods and reels and then wash them with a light soap and rinse them again.The salt will get into everything including your tackle boxes so just take what you need and leave the rest.

Make sure at what hours you can lauch or retrieve your boat. A lot of launches are closed for 2 or 3 hours around low tide because the water is too shallow.

If you fish anywhere close to lobster pots do not use down riggers or you will loose your balls.

Stripers are federally protected.You can catch them inside the 3 mile zone state waters anything over 3 miles makes them an illegal catch.

pete can i bring my pole and fish in the cooler? roly id be heading down to new joursey way looking for some big boys headed south in september,october ive salt water fished in fla quite a bit and we always add in the 2hr top to bottom washdown real pia maybe ill just get diesel rick to take a few days off from trolling those stupid "charlie rigs" and 3lb bunker spoons ,and toss out some bloods .. thanks guys for the heads up on potential problems throw in a 14 hr round trip an maybe ill just save my money and play in the salmon river ...