Looking for a refresher course and reports

It's been about 12 years since I last had the chance to fish Ontario. I finally talked my dad into going back up(he's the only one that would even go with me) and now he has the bug BAD. The problem I'm having is not knowing what the heck is going on or what I'm doing. I took a charter back in May just to see if there was anything new that I needed to know. That's an understatement. I guess now I just need a baseline, speed, depth, rigger depth... I have two problems: 1. I'm not from the area so I don't get any first hand info. 2. I don't have all the primo gear that reduces the learning curve, ie. rigger probe.

Could anyone that fishes out of Olcott on a regular basis give me some info. I am not sure when we'll be heading up, but it will be within the next two weeks. Any help would be appriciated.

I've spent most of the summer reading the posts. Keep in mind I haven't fished for at least 12 years. One of the problems I'm having is the luhrs have changed totaly and I can't make heads or tails of what they are. OK, I get what they are, but where are these "colors" coming from. It took me 2 days to figure out that NBK refers to Natural Born Killer. I just don't even have a starting point. The problem I will have is if I take the old man and we get skunked I will never be able to talk him into going again. Then there goes any chance I'll ever have of going again since no one else will go with me. All I'm asking for is some help to try and reduce the learning curve.

TJ - As well as past posts here under the tackle section, check out http://www.olcottfishing.com & http://www.attheoak.com. The oak site has a good lure section/link if you scroll way down to the bottom.

Other than the oak & here for names, you can look up the lure manufacturer ie (Dreamweaver, Stinger, Northern King, Atommik, Howie, etc) & check the names out.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

get another charter and pay closer attention , best way too cut the learning curve down ! or get some stinger NBK's / blue dolphin, green dolphon , pro troll flasher's white and green , mountian dew spin doctor's , and some hammer flys / white , glows, greens, give a call out on the radio for down temp and put some of this stuff down in the 42/54 water and you should catch somtin p.s also play with ur speed till ya get something too go then stick with it !

TJ,

Give me an email address and I will send you some research results I have on spoons, flies and flashers that have been productive in Olcott. I have my boat docked there. Let me know when you will be coming to Olcott and we can hook up.

Shade