What am I doing wrong?

The one thing I can't get down is how to catch fish before the sun

is high in the sky. I can't buy a fish before 6:30. I even had glo spinnys

and fly, and glo spoons. The picture looks like you dream about but I can't

get a fish to go. What am I doing wrong?

One thing I did realize is more lines in the water = more water covered=more fish. Also keeping your speed constant is a big plus. For some reason my motor wont run steady between 900-1000rpm, which in most cases gets me the perfect 2.2 speed I'm looking for. So I have to constantly adjust up and back which is tough on the wrist. Had the motor looked at this spring and they said they tightened the throttle cable, didn't make a difference.

All our fish came trolling 2.1-2.2 not any faster or slower. Also only caught one king on a spoon. The rest on spindoc/fly combo's. Not sure why I even bought any spoons, lol.

Oh well any help on the low light trolling is appreciated. Heading back out Wed. -Sunday for my final vacation and hope to put fish in the boat early when the picture looks good.

Mark

Capt.,

If you want the speed consistant, kick up the rpm's and add a drift sock or 2 to slow you down. My throttle is the same. It is either too much or too little. Some spoons (like NK's) are heavier and will not run below 2.3 mph. If you speed and temp probe is off .1 or .2, it may have a significate impact on the action of your spoons at that speed. Try some lighter spoons or kick the speed up. Some days they want stuff trucking. Good luck.

Spike, Try running higher in the water column early in the am they will come out of the temp zone when feeding early as the sun come up start fishing the marks and water temp also look for the big fish sitting right on the bottom.don't be afraid to run close to the bottom with one of your rigger's kings like to sit and wait for food.I am by far not an expert but just some thing to try.If you are running a kicker try putting on a control king or some kind of throttle control I did this year and it is awesome I had the same problem couldn't get my speed to where I wanted it I also run a little slower at speeds to 1.8 to 2.0 when running meat and dodgers good luck

I have a couple socks but I had a greenie on board so I couldn't experiment too much. It was tough enough just to get lines in and keep the boat straight and at the right speed. Next trip I have a little more experience on board with me and should be able to play a little more. I will likely drop the socks out and see if that gets me in the zone and save my wrist from constant throttle adjustment. I do see a kicker/control king in the future. I have a 5hp but it is so much louder than the 150, lol. You can't even hear the 150 running.

Mark

The only time I'll run that slow is if I'm fishing right in front of the mouth for staging Kings. Normally I'm running between 2.8 & 3.2 mph. Being Pro staff for Hot Spot I don't run Spin Docs but my deep rod's always an 11" Bullfrog with meat. First thing in the morning that's a killer. Second deepest is another 11" White Lightning again with meat. I'll run an 8" Bullfrog with a white glow Howie on one dipsy & another 8" with an Apex trailing behind it. The two inside riggers I'll run a spoon & first thing either a 5.5 glow ladderback Apex with a piece of meat wrapped on the belly or a Glow Jelly UV Apex. The main thing is don't be afraid to experiment. What they want one day can be entirely different the next.

Mark,

Besides running higher in the water column as stated above, try your darke lures. Blaks with silver or white backe are good in the morning befor the sun comes up. Without the light you need to add some good contrast to the lures and be above the fish so they can look up to see them.

Richard