Blowback ? on cannon DOES THIS SEEM RIGHT?

I was out of oswego this past week and just bought a new 15# shark for the probe rigger. Dropped the shark and cannon probe down i had 120 ' of cable out and the probe said i was down 60' this seams like alot of cable to get this depth the down speed read 2.2-2.4 it is coated cable also but i read the shark had the least blow back plus its the 15# er. DOES THIS SEEM RIGHT? Thanks

Twice the cable to get to 60 ft? No that doesn't seem right at all. What was your surface speed and what kind of angle did the cable make with the water? With 15 Lbs, something is out of whack. If a mechanical counter on rigger, was it at zero at the surface? Did you put it in neutral to confirm where the weight was on you FF? Were the readings the same in another direction?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

yes counter was at 0 no i did not put in n to confirm on ff good idea the cables did not look right but speed at ball was right and we were not passing boats so i assumed the reading was right. surfacwe was 3.00 to 4 other direction had to slow down about 1/2 mph surface to get speed.

You can learn a lot from a Canon probe. Next time, put your probe down at trolling speed and then come to a full stop and see if your probe reading comes closer to your cable AND fish finder readings.

I had 2 Canon probes. The first seemed to always show 1/2 the depth even at rest. I sent it back with a description of the problem and Canon sent it back saying it worked perfectly. That probe is at the bottom of the lake but, it's convinced it is suspended on the thermocline.

The second probe worked great until it also decided to take the ultimate deep dive. The probe reported depth close to what the FF indicated. I think everyone should spend a weekend with a Cannon probe at some time. It teaches you more about blow back, speed and temperature than do years on the water without one. 90 feet down followed by a .2 mph speed change can raise your probe by 30 feet. You learn that it can take 30 feet of cable to get a 10 foot change in depth when deep. You clearly see the depth change on turns due to speed changes. It clearly demonstrates the relationship between speed, depth, temperature and blowback as you change speeds via throttle or turns.

After the second probe, I switched to a Depth a Raider however; I have a much better understanding of the down low haps.

• 2 weeks later...