Surface Temp: 52

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 0

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Saw a post on LOU that sounded like the lake had flipped. Checked the internet this morning to see if I could confirm this. The Michigan Sea Grant Coastwatch page showed temps in the high 60's (but also showed probable clouds). I wouldn't have gone bass fishing if I knew the lake had flipped but it looked to be a good day so I went.

When I got on the lake the surface temp was 52. I decided to head for deeper water and troll for trout and salmon with my fly rod and deep sinking line. I paddled out to 125' deep water and never marked any bait or fish. Surface temp a couple miles out was 58. The breeze started to increase and the swells got big enough to convince me to paddle back to bass depths. I had a nice ride but didn't find any fish.

What do others use as a source to determine surface temp and lake upwelling prior to heading out? My source isn't always too reliable...

first sign is the weather and the 2nd is a down temp probe, seen it coming last week with temps moveing up 20ft a day it kind of rolled slower than most time when it happens over night , should bring the mature salmon closer too shore for there run look out if we get some good rain !

FB7 –

Go to a site like this for your area and find the nearshore temp: (bottom of page)

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn ... loz043.txt

Then go to this site and click on the different times shown (backward) to get an idea what is happening. Also go to forecasts & check out what they think is going to be happening.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glc ... pe=N&hr=00

It’s usually not a matter of the lake flipping but rather local upwellings

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for the replies.

Motoman, since I am fishing from a kayak, I don't usually venture out far enough to find the trout and salmon during mid summer and don't have a down temp probe. But now know that when people on this forum speak of an upwelling I have a better idea of why the surface temp maps on the internet may not yet show it happening.

LongLine, thanks for the links!

Jude

I have a fishfinder with GPS on the yak. I just don't go far enough to find the fish. I usually limit myself to bass fishing since they are within reach. Today I logged 9 miles on the kayak and only managed to get out to 125 feet of water. Maybe when the fish get in a bit closer I'll get some!!