suggestions for a newcomer on lake O.

Hello all,

i initially posted this in the open water forum, then realized this is the more appropriate place to aske these Qs

i have a small, 16 foot starcraft that i would only go out on lake O if it's very calm. I have only been out there once last year (i'm new to the area)

i am basically asking what would be the best place for me to lauch and fish ( i don't want to venture too far from the shoreline)

a buddy of mine mentioned that he had heard that some were catching quite a few browns - flatlining stick baits in about 10 fow in irondequoti bay and in Lake O just east of the bay.

i also read in an earlier post that i-bay needs to be dredged - that there is only a narrow channel deep enough not to get stuck. I haven't launched in i-bay and

There's only one public launching ramp in i-bay correct?

Can anyone give me some advice about the depths in i-bay and if the browns are indeed biting?

i also saw reports that browns are biting in braddocks bay. does that mean literally in the bay or that the guys launched in braddocks bay and caught the fish in the braddocks area?

thanks a bunch (esp. for what are probably very basic questions),

andre

Andre, Oswego is good for small boat fishing. If the wind is too much for the boat you can always fish in the harbor and catch some nice browns along shore and the breakwalls. Fishing East of the breakwalls is somewhat protected too in a West wind. Wright's landing in Oswego is atop notch launch. Good luck on the water.

Andre,

Browns are all along the shore in Central Big-O right now, From Hamlin to Oswego. What's generally been reported here in this section is from out in the lake, not in the bays. If there's a wind from West-SW to East-SE, Braddocks to I-Bay is calm as it's protected from those directions.

The county launch on the North end of I-bay has 3 lanes. Early morning all 3 used for launching. A 16 Ft'r shouldn't have any problems in the channel if you stay somewhat towards the west side. The water in I-Bay from the launch to the last markers towards the Bay bridge, in the bay, is only 5-7 ft deep. South of the markers it goes down to 65-70 pretty quickly.

I have an 18 ft'r and launch at Charlotte. River is roughly 20 ft deep from the launch to the lake. (except the one sandbar where it comes up to about 8 ft). 4 lanes w/ permanent docks right where the fairy used to park.

As long as your boat is in good shape & you stay awake at the wheel, you shouldn't have any problem in either place.

H.I.H.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

dremarquis

My boat is a 16 ft too. Mine is old, beat up (reason for the name Poverty Stricken), but it floats, runs, and catches fish. I have taken mine every where, Oswego, Sodus, and Oak Orchard. I have been out to 400 ft of water (can't see land). I have taken it out in some tough sea's. The point I am trying to make is get confortable with the boat, your abilities to handle it, and set maximum conditions that you would or would not go out in. Mine are no limits on how far I go out, (got a Handheld GPS, Cell phone, and VHF) take extra gas if know I am going out that far, the most important thing is weather check the forecast, I don't take mine out if it is calling for more than 15 knots. The boat may be able to handle more wind and bigger waves but I am not wanting to go out and deal with frustration that comes with wind and rough conditions. Luckily for me, I had spent some time in the Coast Guard and can handle a boat pretty well, my limitations are set based on the boats abilities. Just my 2 cents