Help with cleaning outdrive

momay4000

Hello everyone,

I have an alpha-one Merc outdrive which stays in the water during the season. Each year there is progressively more mineral deposits (white stuff) and barnacle like stuff which is a pain to clean each year.

This year I used a mild solution of MaryKate Hull cleaner but I'm scared to use it again b/c it's not recommended for painted surfaces.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good outdrive cleaner?

Thanks,

- Chris

Thanks Bob- I wasn't sure I could be that aggressive with them with a wire brush....next time I'll scrub 'em good.

What about the painted surfaces on the rest of the outdrive?

Thx,

- Chris

Chris,

Those white mineral deposits sound to me like it might possibly be galvanic corrosion from stray electrical charges in the Marina, or possible even from a bad ground on your own boat. What that tells me is your sacreficial anodes aren't doing the job and galvanic corrosion is eating away your aluminum outdrive housing instead.

I'd look into that as well and make sure you replace the anodes every year (both the trim tab and 2 outdrive ones,) I believe the magnesium ones are recommended for fresh water applications rather than the standard zinc ones.

Just a thought.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I was actually wondering if that's what it might be as well, and I'm concerned b/c my boat was bottom painted two years ago and the marina painted right up to the gimbal housing.

If I'm not mistaken, certain hull paints can "react" with the metal in the gimbal housing and outdrive and form those deposits from breaking down the aluminum.

Usually there's a one-inch gap between the bottom paint on the transom and the gimbal housing, but not on mine......

I'm getting it repainted this year so hopefully not too much damage has been done to the unit...

Thanks for your advice,

- Chris