Outdrive question

Tim Bromund

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'm gonna ask it anyways.

It's time to replace the raw water impeller in my Merc MR/Alpha1 outdrive, but I'm not planning on doing it til the spring when I get the boat ready for the water for the season.

I'll be winterizing the boat shortly and usually drain and refill the outdrive oil as part of the winterizing process. Since I would have to drain it again in the spring to replace the impeller, I was wondering, since the internal parts are still going to have a coating of oil on them, even after draining, if I could get away with leaving the outddrive empty for the winter.

I'm not particularly concerned with any costs associated with again draining and replacing the new oil that would sit in the drive over the winter, but if I could save a step, that would be nice.

Thanks,

Tim

Refill it Tim. If the fluid in it now is in good shape ( no milk color ) leave it in till the spring when you change out the pump. Worst thing to do is leave it empty over the winter. Potential condensation build-up can cause problems in the long run. ;)