16 gauge fully rifled barrel

kingslamon22

i must be the only person in the U.S. that has heard of a 16 ga FULLY RIFLED barrel. Ithaca model 37 deerslayer. its AMAZINGLY accurate and lightfeild makes the commander ids in 16 ga. i have had gunsmiths tell me i should not be trusted with a gun since i cant tell the difference between a smooth and rifled barrel. has anyone ever even heard of this besides me??? im not crazy either by redneck standards.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 16ga Deerslayer early 1950s 4 digit serial number, I had a barrel fitted for it a few years back with rifleling at Creekside in Canadaqua but is not considered a rifled barrel. The barrels on the early ithaca's were not interchangable and it had to be machine fitted but it does throw one hell of a slug. Better group using Remington slugs. So your not crasy - just not a real rifled barrel like the newer ones that you have to use rifled slugs.

acctually shelby this is fully rifled and NEEDS sabot slugs only. it is so incredibly accurate. it shoots straighter at 100 yds than my cuzins 12 ga 1100 fully rifled with lightfields. im tellin ya this thing is very impressive i just hope what i have heard about lightfields new line of slugs being offered in 16 ga is true. well be looking even more like DINNER!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

No, you are not crazy. I own a 16 gauge, fully rifled Ithaca Deerslayer II. When the Original Ithaca Gun Company went out of business in Ithaca, NY, the equipment was purchased by an investment group & they began manufacturing in Kings Ferry, NY, about 45 minutes from me. They reintroduced the Deerslayer II Model 37 in 12 & 20 gauge, a Monte Carlo stocked, rifled (20" or 26"), free floated gun. They produced in fits & fizzles, always on the edge. Right before the went out, they got a new influx of $$$ and came out with the Model 37, 20 gauge Ultralight pump (if I remember correctly, 25", 5# gun) AND a fully rifled Deerslayer II 16 Gauge Model 37, PLUS they also began to produce replacement 16 gauge rifled barrels for older, interchangeable model 37s, PLUS a 16 gauge Model 37, vent rib, interchangeable choke model. Currently, First Stop Gun Shop has one of the 16 gauge vent rib models on Gunsamerica for I think $699,NIB. Of course, the Kings Ferry shop went out of business, being sold to a consortium in Ohio who also fell apart after a year. Now a new Ohio group in Sandusky is producing the Ithaca 37 again AND are starting to once again gear up for a reintroduction of a 16 gauge model.

So you have a either rare gun or at least barrel. I think I read that only something like 200 of the Deerslayer II 16 gauges made it out of the shop and even fewer rifled replacement barrels. Lightfield of course makes sabots in 16, and others can be used too like Brenneke, etc. I grew up shooting a smooth bore 16 gauge Model 37 & loved it. I found my rifled 16 gauge Deerslayer II used about 2 years ago from a shop here in NY. I have not shot it, knowing it is real rare. And it now sounds like my hunting area is converting to a rifle area also, so I won't be using any shotguns now anyway.

I will probably sell mine & use the $$ for another project.