Rod Restoration Question

Sea Lion

Hi,

I have a Daiwa SeaLine rigger rod that is in desperate need to have its guides rewrapped and/or replaced. My question is what can I use to remove the varnish OR epoxy resin that is on the guides now. I bought the rod in the mid nineties.

Thanks,

Bob

You won't be able to just get the finish off. Cut through the thread and the finish over the foot if the guide with a sharp knife. Remove what you have loosened up. At the end of your cut, pull off the remainng thread that is in contact with the blank. If the finish is old enough, you can usually flick off any remaining finish with your fingernail. If it is stuck to the blank, just carefully scrape it off with your knife or razor blade. Any knicks in the blanks finish will be covered up when you re-wrap. I have redone quite a few rods for guys, but it is labor intensive and I have to charge more than what you can buy a new low end rod for. The one's that I have redone were on obsolete blanks that they guys really liked and couldn't replace.

• 1 month later...

Wonderboy,

Thanks for the reply. I finished repairing the rod. Wound up not using epoxy to finish it but used U40 Permagloss. I applied one coat to the entire blank and many coats to the wrappings. Looks good to go fishing.

Regards,

Bob