Pike patties

GAMBLER

Here is my buddies ...............

Turnips Fish Cakes

Fresh or frozen fish, (I like to use lake trout mostly but any fish will work) try pike for a real treat!

Italian bread crumbs with garlic

one sweet onion

"Season All" (spice)

"Old Bay"

mayo (not bread spread)

olive oil (not extra virgin)

Poach all fish, remove from heat, drain and cool.

While fish is cooling place some bread crumbs in a shallow dish (this will be used to coat your cake).

Also, sliver your sweet onion making it ready to put into cake mixture.

When your fish is cool enough to handle debone, remove skin and place clean fish in medium size mixing bowl. Make sure that you use caution not to smash the fish flakes (DO NOT PUT IN GRINDER).

Add "Season All" to your fish in the mixing bowl. This you will have to do by taste and sight. The fish should have a slightly pink look to it (do not add salt as this spice has salt in it). Stir in this spice making sure all particles are coated. Caution should be used here to ensure that you do not break up the fish flakes into to small of particles (part of what makes this so good is the nice flakes).

Add "Old Bay" to taste. Caution should be used as above!

Add some, not many, bread crumbs (same caution required as above). This step is optional!

Now you are ready for the mayo! Using a fork add mayo to your mixture, small amounts at a time. This is strictly used as a binder (no eggs required). Don't worry if you think you might have put to much in as it will NOT leave any after taste. Caution needs to be used here so that you don't break-up the fish too much! You will know if you don't have enough mayo when you make your cake; It won't hold together!

Add as much slivered sweet onion as you like. Just remember that the more you use the harder it will be to maintain the shape of your cake.

Grab a small to medium amount of prepared fish (the amount will depend on the size cake you want to make) and roll it into a ball. Now flaten slightly, making sure the edges are not to thin, and coat in your shallow dish of bread crumbs, shaking off excess). Place on a plate until ready to cook. When all cakes are made sprinkle with "Old Bay" on the top. I should note here that there are several ways to cook this (note: you are actually only warming everything as the fish is already cooked). If you desire to deep fry then keep mixture in round ball, still coating as directed above!

When I cook this I like to use the broiler, like with crab cakes. But you can bake this at 450 until golden brown. You can also deep fry (oil temp 350) or you can skillet fry (this is where I use the olive oil). Golden brown is the "target look", but I must say I like it a little crispy on top when I use the broiler! Don't freak out if some of the onions burn on the ends (your onion will stick out in different directions as you make your cake or ball).

As I said earlier, you can use any kind of fish for this. My favorite is lake trout or any kind of trout because of the subtle salmon flavor. I must say though, pike is extreamly good here!

Serve with a cold salad and or hush puppies! Maybe even deep fried onion rings!

You may add pepper if you like.

Anyone have a pike patty reciepe? Muskybob?????

Give this one a try Brian, just substitute the salmon & shrimp for pike:

Adirondack Salmon and Shrimp Patties

From My Adirondack Way of Cooking by Musky Bob

2 6†Salmon fillets (diced)

1 ½ Cup of cooked & peeled shrimp (diced)

1 Diced stalk of celery

3/4 Cup of diced white onion

2 small eggs

½ Cup of real mayonaise

2 Tsp. of Old Bay Seasoning

1 Tsp. garlic powder

¼ Tsp. chili powder

season with salt & pepper as you like it

Italian Bread crumbs

Corn meal

Peanut Oil

Paper Towel

Wax Paper

Aluminum Foil

Frying Pan

Large Bowl & Shallow Bowl

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a LARGE bowl combine the first 9 ingrediants + 1 cup of bread crumbs and salt & pepper as you like it.

Mix well with your hand. Add more bread crumbs if it feels too mushy to make patties.

Scoop out and make 8 palm size patties & put them on the wax paper.

Pour out enough peanut oil in the frying pan so it’s ¼ inch deep & turn heat on med. high

In a Shallow bowl make a 50/50 mixture of bread crumbs & corn meal.

Dip patties one by one in mixture & cover top, bottom, & sides & place in hot oil. I do 4 at a time.

Fry till golden brown on top & bottom, remove, place on paper towel, & do the other 4.

Open oven and put a cookie sheet size of aluminum foil on the rack. Place patties on the foil and bake for 20 minutes.

I serve with Ken’s Cocktail Sauce, whole kernel corn, & potato puffs.

Enjoy!!!

A nice variation to this is instead of patties, to make balls out of it.

Make up mixture & place in refrigerator for an hour. This makes it easier to roll into balls.

Roll up into 1 inch size balls, place on wax paper on a cookie sheet after doing the coating. Place in freezer overnight, then bag up till you want them.

Use a deep fryer when ready for them & fry till golden brown.

They make excellent snacks for on the boat, if they make it that far. I usually make these & serve with a toothpick & horseradish cocktail sauce.

Very good either hot or cold.

• 1 year later...

Try this one Brian

Fillet the Pike as you would a perch or bass leaving in the ybone and all to get the most of your fillet, run the fillets through a grinder twice.

In a bowl mix pike with one or two eggs, add fresh minced garlic, few tablespoons of pesto, pepper, salt, few dashes of parmesan cheese, 1/4-1/2 cup diced up cheese curds, a minced onion(medium), diced roasted red peppers, and make 1/2 poundish size burgers. cooked in a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil. It will be delish for sure.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have a pike patty reciepe? Muskybob?????

Give this one a try Brian, just substitute the salmon & shrimp for pike:

Adirondack Salmon and Shrimp Patties

From My Adirondack Way of Cooking by Musky Bob

2 6†Salmon fillets (diced)

1 ½ Cup of cooked & peeled shrimp (diced)

1 Diced stalk of celery

3/4 Cup of diced white onion

2 small eggs

½ Cup of real mayonaise

2 Tsp. of Old Bay Seasoning

1 Tsp. garlic powder

¼ Tsp. chili powder

season with salt & pepper as you like it

Italian Bread crumbs

Corn meal

Peanut Oil

Paper Towel

Wax Paper

Aluminum Foil

Frying Pan

Large Bowl & Shallow Bowl

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a LARGE bowl combine the first 9 ingrediants + 1 cup of bread crumbs and salt & pepper as you like it.

Mix well with your hand. Add more bread crumbs if it feels too mushy to make patties.

Scoop out and make 8 palm size patties & put them on the wax paper.

Pour out enough peanut oil in the frying pan so it’s ¼ inch deep & turn heat on med. high

In a Shallow bowl make a 50/50 mixture of bread crumbs & corn meal.

Dip patties one by one in mixture & cover top, bottom, & sides & place in hot oil. I do 4 at a time.

Fry till golden brown on top & bottom, remove, place on paper towel, & do the other 4.

Open oven and put a cookie sheet size of aluminum foil on the rack. Place patties on the foil and bake for 20 minutes.

I serve with Ken’s Cocktail Sauce, whole kernel corn, & potato puffs.

Enjoy!!!

A nice variation to this is instead of patties, to make balls out of it.

Make up mixture & place in refrigerator for an hour. This makes it easier to roll into balls.

Roll up into 1 inch size balls, place on wax paper on a cookie sheet after doing the coating. Place in freezer overnight, then bag up till you want them.

Use a deep fryer when ready for them & fry till golden brown.

They make excellent snacks for on the boat, if they make it that far. I usually make these & serve with a toothpick & horseradish cocktail sauce.

Very good either hot or cold.

I'm gonna give this a whirl with the next catch!!

Sounds mighty good!!