2 less musky in Waneta

What do you think???

Lets flod the DEC with emails and phone calls to have special regulations implimented for waneta and lamoka to ..."tipups prohibited!!!!If they give a damn about this fishery they will include it next year.This should at the very least save a few skies.I`m still hearing fish being pulled in....whether by accident or not(reported that they are letting them go).There is no need for tipup use on this water.This regulation should help and it should be posted at the launch under the plexiglass.I as well as several of you donate our money to the chautauqua fish hatchery(a little each time adds up) to feed the musky fry which gets planted in waneta for our pleasure and to have large fish such as that taken out"illegally" ..well... it troubles me.Capt.Larry and others put much time and hard work into locating funds for this project and i`d like to see some changes in the regulations to protect this body of water.

" TIPUPS PROHIBITED "

Sol

What a shame. Waneta and Lamoka have the potential of growing some very big muskies, if catch and release is practiced. In the late 80's or early 90's a trio of 40lb plus fish were caught in one year. I'm not taking what the DEC supposedly said about raising the minimum size limit as gospel. I've seen them ignore or mismanage some other waters and species and I would hope they would attempt to prosecute this guy. Waneta and Lamoka are unique for their size because they have historically had a very good forage base including alewives which I presume escaped somehow through Keuka Lake. Add that to an excellent perch and crappie population...and the potential for these fish to grow is better than in similar sized lakes. If any of you have the old Sanders Fishing Guide, there are excellent articles about both lakes. Years ago a 10lb plus largemouth was electroshocked as was 50+ inch musky. So fish can and will grow large if managed correctly. Captain Larry Jones suggested that Otisco's size limit for Tigers be raised so it could be managed for it's trophy potential. I'm with him. These fish are even more vulnerable in ice season, which seems to hold true of Otisco. I would like to see a very high minimum length instituted for muskies in most waters, unless the DEC has info that proves that change would be detrimental to the fishery. But I have yet to see a case of that. Lake of the Woods, Eagle Lake and Large Bodies of water, that have been managed to institute 50+ inch minimums on fish have seen fishing improve and thrive. Seems to me that the smaller the water, the more delicate it is and can't afford to have fish removed like this clown just killed. That's just one guy who just happened to get exposed. Just think how many muskies like these have been killed needlessly that we don't know about.

Im not sure why the DEC doesnt make all muskies statewide total catch and release. The nice ones are problably 20 years old and take too long to replace. Reproduction mounts look as good and last longer anyway. They should at least make it 54" size limit like on the St. Lawrence. It seems like ice fishermen do heavy damage on alot of lakes. I dont see alot of catch & release. At braddocks theres pike laying all over the ice, at my cottage near the islands, guys poach Largemouth all winter. I guess ice guys are a different breed. I release most of mine except jumbo Perch. Whatever.