Hummingbird 565

darkfisher

I have a 565 on my boat. I find it works fine in water under 100 feet. once I get over that I'm never confident that it is going to continue working. It will often just read 0.1 or 0.4 feet deep. sometimes it will read 20 or 30 feet deep even though I am clearly well over 300 fow. It never did this when it was new but it is now 3 seasons old. I assume it is a problem with the transducer but before I go purchase a new transducer I was hoping for some feed back.

Thanks

Matt

Matt, there should be a "Restore Factory Default" button somewhere in your menu. Try that before spending any extra $$$. ;) Sometimes when going thru the options you can inadvertently mess things up. Not that it's ever happened to me. :lol:

My 575 had the same problem.After the transducer was replaced it got to be a lot better,but the dual and triple beam transducers are very touchy and even the slightest bit of turbulence throws them off.

you don't say whether its a exterior mounted ducer or through-hull. i've been having a similar interrmittant problem with my 595, but I figured it was just the paint on the interior of the 'glass delaminating a bit as I can see it flaking in some other spots. tried all different settings (including defaults ;) ) but no better. also, my ducer is about 7-8 years old now

Lakebound I use a hummingbird 5 series now for about 4 years. Only times I have problems is in Seneca when every now and then in deep water it will go from saying 200 fow to no bottom! :o I thought it had something to do with seneca in particular (magnetic feedback, atmospheric conditions, floating bodies, naval experiments).

floating bodies? wth..lol. i seem to lose bottom with my lorance system too once in a while, it will show me structure, just no depth. will say its 3.8 ft and the side depth on the chart will show actual. maybe the units old...

I had a lowrance x96 in my old boat. Definetly not a high dollar unit and with only 1200watts of power it lacked what I desired. I used to notice sometimes it would lose bottom in really deep water like 250 plus. It also seemed to do this more often in colder conditions?? My trophy came with a Simrad EQ 33 sounder in it. Can't wait to use it in fishing conditions. Only got to use it when I water tested the boat. Have not fished out of the boat yet. COME ON SPRING!!

TD

• 3 weeks later...

That's what I have on my boat ( used to be justin's) I found that the ducer was getting thrown of by the contour of the boat. I lowered it about 1.5 inches from where he had it now it works great. I do get a little rooster tail off it though. Look for any lips or rivets any thing like that i front of it they distort the signal. Not sure why it only does it when your deep. Mine would cut out in anything from 10ft to 300ft. Hope this helps. I really like my hummer.

That's what I have on my boat ( used to be justin's) I found that the ducer was getting thrown of by the contour of the boat. I lowered it about 1.5 inches from where he had it now it works great. I do get a little rooster tail off it though. Look for any lips or rivets any thing like that i front of it they distort the signal. Not sure why it only does it when your deep. Mine would cut out in anything from 10ft to 300ft. Hope this helps. I really like my hummer.

I had the same rooster tail problem with my 575.A lot of noise has been made about this and Humminbird has come up with a rubber piece that fits in the space between the transducer and the part that is attached to the boat.They provide these for free.All you have to do is call their service department and they will send it to you.